Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

group b strep, where to give birth?

have started a similar thread about this also on the pregnancy forum but just thought id put on on here too.

today i got swab results back (had swabs taken 2 weeks ago when id had some bleeding) and was told i have group b strep so this means i will need antibiotics during labour to stop it passing onto baby. has anyone else had to get this?
as far as i have been able to see on internet it is thru a drip, but i was hoping for a home birth and so dont know if now ill need to give birth in hospital or whether they can do it any other way like maybe injections so am intereested to know if its only ever by drip.

also do you need to stay in afterwards for a few days or anything? someone i know whos daughter is 3 now had to do this (but im not sure if thats cause they didnt know she had it til she was born.)

Replies

• hi they have you in hospital incase baby gets it so baby can go on antibiotics. as long as your in hospital and on anti bs when you go into labour then you should beable to go home quite quickly. hth
  • Hi, I found out I had gbs after the birth of my second son. I had swabs taken at 35 weeks because I had been getting pains, but whoever received the results just placed them in my hospital file without bothering to inform any of my caregivers! I was advised to stay in for 3 days so myself and the baby could be monitored.

With my third, I was given the NHS swab at 36 weeks, it was negative but was told my consultant wanted me to have a/b anyway. In fact, I was not given antibiotics, just kept in for 3 days again for monitoring.

Have you looked at the GBS support group site? It is fantastic and gives lots of great info. I think you can contact them too with any queries. Good luck. xx