Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

HOW DID YOU FEEL BEFORE YOUR LABOUR STARTED?

hello ladies!
ive had strong and painfull (sometimes regular) braxton hicks since 32 weeks and i havent had a show so i know im not in labour.
last night i had annoying twinges in my pelvis ALL night and have had a few thismorning, theres no tightning across my bump when i get one, theyre very low down in my pelvis, some are like 'shocks' and others like a 'squeeze' im getting these alongside BH and have noticed (sorry if tmi) a bit more discharge than normal but no blob of goo which i no can be your show
however, all the people ive spoken to say there labours started with contractions but as ive had them for a while would like to know how else you felt before your show/waters breaking?

shaz
39 weeks today!!!

xxx

[Modified by: shazlnx on 31 July 2008 13:50:14 ]

Replies

• Hi

I felt fine! I woke up for a wee in the night, got back in bed then I thought I'd weed myself, but it was my waters going. Half an hour later got the pains and lily came VERY quickly!

During the day though I was very quiet (according to my mum) and I felt ok, quite calm, a litle back ache but that was all. I was not expecting to go to bed and wake up with a baby the next morning.

xx
  • hi. with my first baby i had bad lower back ache for 2 days, which i really didn't think anything of really, then on the 4th day of being over due i went for a wee in the early hours and went to put my legs into bed and pop , my waters went. from then on i had good regular contractions and gave birth 8 hours later.
    with my 4th baby i just started to get contractions during the night , which woke me up, i had a show mid morning, then had my baby the following morning. with my other 3 i was induced with high blood pressure.
    it is hard with your first baby to know if it is labour, my mum said all along that with my first i was in early labour with my back ache but i thinkl i was in denial. lol.
    good luck.xxx
  • hi. with my first baby i had bad lower back ache for 2 days, which i really didn't think anything of really, then on the 4th day of being over due i went for a wee in the early hours and went to put my legs into bed and pop , my waters went. from then on i had good regular contractions and gave birth 8 hours later.
    with my 4th baby i just started to get contractions during the night , which woke me up, i had a show mid morning, then had my baby the following morning. with my other 3 i was induced with high blood pressure.
    it is hard with your first baby to know if it is labour, my mum said all along that with my first i was in early labour with my back ache but i thinkl i was in denial. lol.
    good luck.xxx
  • I had to be induced with my 1st so that doesn't really count but with my next 2 my waters broke first. With my 2nd it was the middlle of the night and I woke then heard a ping and my waters broke a bit. I didn't get contractions straight away but then went to the toilet about 10 minutes later and had a massive gush then the contractions came thick and fast and by the time mum had arrived (about 35 mins) to look after my 1st and we had got to the hospital (5mins away) I was already fully dilated.
    With my 3rd I was about to go out the door to take my older 2 to school and nursery and felt a trickle (so about 8.30 am) then didn't have any pains and had a lovely morning walking around the house (it was a home birth), phoning friends etc then had a wonderful sleep for an hour or so before I had a massive gush in the study as I stood up at about 2.30. The contractions came thick and fast again and my daughter was born in the birthing pool at home at 6.03pm.
    They say every labour is different but my last 2 when I went into labour on my own were very similar and fortunately quite fast xx
  • I got really tired, but when i went to bed i couldn't sleep, sat up all night chatting on here, but felt fine, no tightness no pains until my first contraction at 5am!
    I had a show 2 weeks prior!
    I think everyone is very different.
  • Hi, I felt fine when I was in the last few weeks of pregnancy, except I had a lot more pains and twinges in my stomach. Had to ring the hospital a few times but they were all false alarms!

My waters broke at 7.30 in the morning, and all through the night i was getting low back pain and tightenings across my stomach. but they werent strong enough that they left me breathless, but stronger than what i had felt before. so i got up in the morning and my waters broke, went into hospital but i hadnt actually started contracting the pain had totally stopped! so i was sent home and they started properly at 3.00am the next morning.

Baby jake was born 12.35pm the next day now 5 weeks old! time flies! xx
  • Absolutely fine - was actually in the pub with hubby!! I was 38+2 and had no twinges so no reason to suspect i'd have any issues that night!! He had 3 pints so I drove home - when we got back I got a shooting pain down my right leg but then it stopped. Got in house, hung up car keys and waters broke!! That was 10.30pm. Rang hospital, went in for check up about 11.30pm, baby's heart rate slow, so transferred to RVI by ambulance but all ok and got sent home, not in labour. Got home at about 3.15am - a few niggles so put on tens machine, contractions kicked in big style at 3.30am and by 4am I couldn't stand during them. Left for hospital at 4.15am, arrived at 4.35am and daughter arrived at 5.12am!!!!! Was fully dilated on arrival.

Funny thing was we had to ignore the fact hubby had, had 3 pints as we had no other way of getting to hospital. He was fully in control though and did 100mph all the way there - or else I think she'd have arrived in the car!!

Good luck!
  • Sorry computer was being slow!!

[Modified by: jewsora on August 13, 2008 09:40 PM]