Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

back to back position of baby

Hi

My midwife has told me my baby is back to back so its spine is against mine, has anyone else had this?
aparantly it might mean a longer labour if it doesnt turn around, ive tried everything getting on all fours and sitting on the excercise ball, but dont think it has turned!! im due tomorrow and panacking now - help!!!!!

Replies

• Hello there!
    my baby was born nose to pubes, which means she was back to spine at birth. During labour she was laid on her side and i was told if she didnt turn i might need help delivering! Luckily I felt her move just before I started to push. It wasnt until she was born that the midwife realised she was nose up! She then told me that it is more difficult to give birth when the are nose up, but I dont think it was that bad. I had only 1 graize and a small tear, no stitches! I actually faired better than some who are normal. So dont worry too much. The baby might turn the right way during labour. Just relax and chill, if u can! Hope this helps!;\)
  • Hi Barts,
    U could try figure of 8 circles with ur hips or hip circles... Thats what we did in active birth classes anyway to try an get our babies in the right position...
    Hope this helps...
    If not im sure ull be fine...
    Good luck for tomorrow...
    SWxx
  • Hi Barts,
    U could try figure of 8 circles with ur hips or hip circles... Thats what we did in active birth classes anyway to try an get our babies in the right position...
    Hope this helps...
    If not im sure ull be fine...
    Good luck for tomorrow...
    SWxx
  • hi, my last baby was back to back too.
    the labour started with very very bad back pain in fact i didnt even notice any contractions to begin with because the pain in my back was that bad.
    The labour was very painful i had an epidural which was topped up 3 times and was still in agony so much so they ended up having to give me a full spinal block (the type they use for c-sections) which brought me relief at last! Pushing the baby out was very very hard and exhausting because the back of his head became stuck on the bottom of my spine. I did manage to push him out myself though with out the need for ventouse or forceps although i did need an episiotomy. The labour was long and lasted 5 days. He was my second baby and was quite large too at 8 pounds 11 the back of his head was also quite big which may have made it worse than a normal back to back birth!!
    All the best
    Toni xx
    ps:hope i havent scared you, i didnt mean to i was just trying to tell you honestly my experience. x
  • hi, my wee man was back to back, labour was fine thought i had wind lol, and the actual birth went really well, yes it hurt but its going to anyway, you should be fine i was told all the things you were, dont worry lo could still turn. good luck get all the rest you can now.
  • Hi everyone

thanks for your advise, im due today and still no sign so fingers crossed it will turn on its own!!!

thanks

xxx
  • Ihad this but if you cant get your baby to turn before labour day you can still do it during labour rolling your hips, get down on all fours and rock back and forth during contractions if you get sore wrists/knees get a birthing ball sit on it but learn forward with your bump between your legs, the main thing to worry about is the cord as they can get wrapped round your babys neck so really listen to your midwife during labour and if she says stop pushing (I know its hard) pant (i did this as fast as i could and it seemed to help)