Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

episiotomy

anyone had this?
mine has healed quite well except the bit where it starts... still feel very bruised down below and also still on iron so being oconstipated dont help either lol tmi i no sorry!

im also worried bout sex already, even though i wont let oh near me for a while i do think im gonna be petrified of tearing or something cos my stitches came out after a few days on there own so had to heal without them. does it feel different? will i be really scared? god im stressing!

lo born 3 weeks ago tomorrow should things be normal by now?

holly
xxx

Replies

• hi i had episiotomy as my littlen born via forceps. i was very sore and bruised my sitches came out after 2 weeks i too was scared but it does heal well on its own. we tryed after 5 weeks but i was to scared then again at 9 weeks with alot of loob. it is different and unless you are brilliant doing your pelvic floor excercies does take a while to fell normal agin. i think though when you have been cut in a very intimate area it is very ditressing especially if you ar eunder alot of pressure from your partner as usually thet are keen to know if they will still get what they had before. i remember deing to scsared to let the doctor examine me at my 6 wk check incase she tore me. dont worry give yourselves time 3 weeks is very early days.

hope this helps

xx
  • thanks nikki

i had forceps aswell. i haemorrhaged so on iron so very conscious of bowel moevements affecting it let alone sex! i think oh understands but i hope he doesnt get annyoed wit the wait. what do they do at 6 week check then?
    does it scar??
    xxx
  • hi ya
    You poor thing!! they do an internal which is why i really coulnt face her poking about. it took me a good year to dare even look i kept telling the midwives not to tell me if it was bad. my daughter is now 3 years old but i remeber it all very clearly. yes i can see where it was done and latlrey it has been sore again and im really aware of it which is a bit worrying after this time. let me know if you've got any other worries. hope you are getting so sleep. i juust registered cause ive got probels with my toddler and our new puppy is chaos!!

take care

nikki
  • Been quite lucky with my episiotomy stitches, apart from 3 days post delivery when they hurt a lot they have healed fine, mw checked and said "it had come together lovely!".

However the last few days i have been really constipated, not on iron just not eating properly, and sorry if tmi but at 2am this morning i'd have rather been giving birth again than trying to have a poo, certainly would like tha gas and air! so pharmacist has given me lactulose (sp?) tastes vile but worth a try, you can get prescription for it but i can't wait till monday! only cost ??2.60 for a large bottle, have you tried it?

As for sex, oh can forget it for a while! mind you he's not really interested, think watching me give birth is still a bit too fresh in his memory! That and he understands that i'm not ready, he even told the hv that our method of contraception was asleep in the moses basket!

Hope you feel more comfortable soon

Obi & Philip
  • hi nikki,
    im really annoyed i was even cut but told them to do what they had to and not tell me what was going on! i think ill be forever paranoid about it now! how old is ur lo? and a puppy too,you musthave bags of energy!!if u dont mind me asking, when did u feel ready to have sex again? i dont no whether to try once i feel up to it or really wait...?!
    im getting enough sleep but would like more! ryan goes 4 hours at a time so wakes for a feed at night and i put him back down. works for now..!
    if ur scar is sore do they do anything? i no someone mentioned getting it restitched.. not for me though!

hi obi, how r u and philip?
    my mw said the same thing lol! i had some lactulose on discharge from hospital but all gone now. just gave me wicked farts (sorry!) that stunk eggy (sorry again lol!). tasted like golden syrup so wasnt that bad, did urs taste different? im taking fibresure now as a last resort cos i did stop takin the iron but realised i do need it!

think ill ditch oh its not fair on him, i aint having sex again. ever. not blooming ever. too scared. sod contraception. the episiotomy has done the job!!!

holly

xxx

• Lucy is nearly 3. so terrible twos in full swing!! getting the puppy nearly sent me over the eddge ive been chatting to another member with same problem lucy is very heavy handed and wil not listen to me at all. pup is very nippy and lucy is very upset by this.,
    anyway motherhood is one very long but usually enjoyable journey.
    your quesstion:- tried at 5 weeks noooway!! then suceeded at 9 weeks but i hated every moment i really think i needed some sort of councelling to help me enjoy sex again and not to be so afriad. i felt the same as you that it had completely ruined our sex life. i was very against having a Ep. too. it had terrified me to conisder having anymore babies.
    xx
  • obi: i had the constipation too and giving birth was slightly easier.LOL!! yes lactolose was great i think if i ever had another i would start taking it a few days before i gave birth to make sure i didnt get the constipation. oh gas and air i wish you could buy it in mini bottles for party's so loved it!!
  • hi lauren, i had the gas and air in the early stages before the epidural and i felt drunkfor ten mins then just felt drowsy and sicky! didnt like it at all, which is disappointing cos i too enjoyed the drunk feeling although im aware i was being a bit of a tit aswell!

just wondered about the cut, the linebit has healed well considering the stitches fell out but the bit where it starts( from my bits lol) is still a little open and sore...normal? im worried anddont wanna mention it to hv cos dont like her and dont wanna be poked and prodded.

i think i can wait 22 weeks! im happy with that lol

xxxx
  • Hi girls,

i didnt have an EP but i did have a 3rd degree tear thanks to a 9lb 5oz gorgeous lil boy and with the help of a vonteuse! i had to go to theatre to be stitched up it was so bad. i also had to have a blood transfusion cos of blood loss and was put on iron tablets when i got home. i was very very lucky in that i had no pian at all with my stitches didnt sting at all when i went for a wee which i was so scared about, and i didnt get constipated either cos i was prescribed lactulose before i left hospital which i took once a day- not the nicest tasting stuff but rather that than being scared at going for a poo! as for sex...Joshua is 7 months old and we have only tried sex about 4 times. mainly cos i was petrified of it hurting and i must say my oh is amazing! obviously he tries it on every night but he completely understands. im off to docs on tues to go on the pill and to have a chat about feeling scared 7 months on. try not to worry and a lil tip to get more iron is to have a glass of oj with your meals cos it helps iron absorption xxx
  • hi girls its lovely hearing evryones experiences and suprising how similar they all are.
    my worry even after 3 years is having a smear i hated them before now really scared. i think its more having to lay on the bed and stuff i just cant stand the thought of being messed with.
    Holly have you tryed bathing you're wound with salted water i had salt baths and think that why it healed so quickly it really did speed up the healing process. i used to bath it witrh salted water evrey few hours. it didnt sting either if it does reduce the amount of salt. i reacom about 2 tbsps for a bath and 1tsps in a bowl with some cotton wool to dab on.
    i know its crap but hv has seen lots of ladies with your concerns and im sure she will understand you dont want messing with but you dont want an infecton which would be nasty sweet!!
    xxxxxx
  • Hi Ya,
    I had one due to forceps also. It was very painful and bruised for a week or so, then healed very well. I had sex after 3 weeks which was probably a bit too soon but I couldn't wait! 4 weeks would have been fine though, my LO is 3 months now and it has completly healed and looks like it used to image
  • Hi i had one due to forcep delivery glad they did in the finish as he was 10lb and got stuck lol
    My stiches were sore for about 4 days and had sex after about 2weeks i was worried about ripping and couldnt get wet so used plenty of loob things were strange like a funny sensation where cut was got mw to check at my check and she said they had healed nicely and that the funny sensation was the nerves knitting back together and not to worry, my lo is 18 weeks and you cant even see anything you wouldnt even know i had been cut and everything is back to normal sex wise, but with my first i didnt have any tear so i was scared how they would feel second time round and not as bad as i thought, i hope they start to feel better soon take care.
    vikki xx
  • thanks everyone

im gonna stop looking at it cos it dont help. its frustrating cos i do want to have sex but i dont think i should yet. oh is probably going mad but is being really good atm! im gonna mention my concern to gp cos wanna get contraception sorted. anyone on the patch thing? think that sounds good as im terrible with taking pill!

xxx
  • I had the same problem with my first, it was very sore for a while & healed about 6 weeks, i found using badedas in the bath helped the healing process quicker, i was recommended it by someone & it worked wonders x
  • Hi Holly

I had an episiotomy and the stitches broke down as they got infected this was picked up on day 5 after delivery I had to go back in hospital for 24hours on an antibiotic drip then had tablets to come home with. To cut a long story short i had quite a few problems and it took a couple of months to heal. It will be a year ago on 31Jan. My bits look nothing like they used to but apparantly this is normal!! If you are feeling tender or anything I would wait abit. I think it was 12 weeks b4 we had sex and it felt abit weird but after a few goes it does feel normal again. Just make sure you don't rush. My other half was really gentle the first few times and all was fine. Good luck xxx
  • Can i ask you all a question as i was cut and stitched due to suction delivery. My surgeon was very good with me and told me what he was doing every step of the way which was good till he said right i've stitched you on the inside so you cant see the stitches and i'm now just going to put my finger in your anus to make sure i've not stitched too much!!!

If it wasn't for the midwives standing next to the bed i think i would've fall off.

As for sex i cant wait to try but my husband wont at the mo (he doesn't like mess!!) but he actually asked them to put a couple of extra in to tighten me up lol

My little one was born on the 17th december he's my second but my first was born by emergency section he's 13 months now
  • Hi i had EP and torn five times from it, not suprising as baby was 10lb 7 a big whopper!!! i was a little sore aster but resumed sex at 7 weeks a lot of loob as i was petrified but it was no prob, just took it steady, husband was really gentle, she is now 19 weeks old and everything is fine, i think the fear is worse just take time and do what you feel is right.. good luck
  • I also had an episoptomy and forceps during delivery. After 1 week I was in terrible pain and had developed an infection. The antibiotics worked wonders then I got thrush, very itchy and unpleasant. My OH and I had some nookie 5 weeks after the birth. I was very nervous about it being painful but we took it easy and everything was fine.

A few drops of Tea Tree oil in the bath helps too as this has natural antiseptics in it. I had a bath in the morning and evening to keep the wound nice and clean.
  • hi,

I did not have EP but want to say that sex is not necessarily easy after giving birth. I had C-section and was advised to wait 6 weeks (oh was horrified to have to wait so long). When it was time, we were both disappointed at how painful it was for me. It took about another 4 to 6 weeks before sex felt normal again.

I think it's important to talk to your oh about how you're feeling, and to find other ways to relieve sexual frustration. When he shows patience and understanding, it helps your relationship for now and later.

I hope things turn out all right for you.
    xx