Forum home› Pregnancy› Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Another Membrane Sweep....

Hi Girls,

Its my due date today and I'm having another membrane sweep later. The last one did something - I've had a show, getting stronger BH. MW told me least week I was 1cm dilated and my cervix is 50% effaced (?).

Has it worked for anyone else second time around?

Sarah x

:\?

Replies

• hi sarah im due today as well . no sweep for me but i have the consultant on friday so i hope i go before then. had a sweep 2 weeks ago and all it did was make me spot and be crampy but no baby hope it all happens for you today
    fea x
  • thanks fea,

well, lets be honest - weve got a 3% chance of going today!

dunno about u but im getting a wee bit fed up, feel massive and my pelvis really hurts too... I think i might b a bit of a wimp!

I hope it happens for you too - the sooner the better eh?

Sarah x
  • oh, and i seem to have developed a few spots on my face too...

sigh....

• Hi just thought id offer you a glimmer of hope, my sister in law went overdue and was booked to be induced, however the day before she had a second sweep and things started happening for her that evening. Fingers crossed for you anyway x
  • I've had 2 sweeps, booked in for induction on Sunday 23rd and still here 8 days late......devastated and absolutely terrified of being induced........ some reassurances would be gratefully received girls, especially if you have been through this..... I am terrified I will end up having a section.....
    Please help!
  • hi ellie

I feel the same although technically not overdue! Getting worried about c sections and induction eek!

thank you laura for offering me a glimmer of hope! made me feel better!!!

Sarah x

• hi sarah i had both last time 10 years ago. the induction was performed 14 days after due date i was 3 cm dilated but they forgot to write on my notes that my uterus was tilted so never really progressed i waited hours before i decided to have a mobile epidural then when realization dawned on them i just got topped up and had a section. so don,t be scared of having a section if i had known how much easier it was i wouldn't have been in labour so long... so this time i am having a go at a vaginal birth in the knowledge if i don't start myself or it lasts more than 6 hours i have a controled section so i will be having an epidural early on so i can be awake again don't want to miss a moment. i healed very well last time and went on hol to ireland 5 weeks after having the section so don't believe all the horror stories
    3% chance mmm think i will try that clary sage oil that was on a previous post and try and get things moving hope it happens fast for both of us
    fea x
  • Being induced is a little uncomfortable, but at least you're in hospital with all medical facilities & staff readily available. my friend was recently in labour at home for 24 hours in agony (coz they wouldn't let her go in). on hearing this, i'm glad I was induced & not panicking at home in awful pain 1/2 hr drive from hospital.
  • Hi ellie,

i'm due to be induced on the 26th and like you, i'm dreading it. it feels like count down to d-day but at the same time, it's a light at the end of the tunnel. i just hope i can cope with all the prodding and poking around that they have to do. on the other hand i've heard tons of stories of people who go into labour the day or even the hour before they are due to be induced so you never know. the little one could still surprise you. Here's hoping it doesn't come to induction for the both of us

lisapie
  • My little one was 10 days over when I was taken into be induced, I had 3 lots of prostin gel over 3 days and it did nothing but give me back ache and tummy cramps. I ended up having a section (classed as an emergency one though I only had epidural) when she was 14 days late. I had been dreading it and tried everything possible to avoid it but in the end there was no way she was coming out so it had to be a section and despite all my fears it wasn't bad at all. It's now 9 days after my section and I feel really well, tummy is obviously very tender but it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it'd be.
    Try not to worry too much, there's every chance your babies will arrive naturally and in their own time before you need any intervention! But if it is necessary, then be re assured that it's not bad at all!
    Good Luck!
    xx
  • hi, i had a sweep at 37 weeks and i was 1cm dilated at the time, had a show and some period type pains, then i had a 2nd sweep 3 days later in the afternoon, waters broke at 8.45pm and lo was born at 3.30am the following morning, by emergency c-sec. (lo was in distress and stuck)
  • god i hope it happens for me like that!

Well, if had my 2nd sweep. MW says I am looking favourable for going into labour - I hope! 1.5cm dilated now and cervix thinning.... maybe I know too much about it eh?!! Anyway I am having another sweep on Sunday if this doesnt work.

Pleeeeaaase work, dont want another sweep, want my baby - plus this one was a bit sore - she gave it a really good sweep so she said!

Heres hoping

Sarah x
  • I know how you all feel. I'm really getting fed up now. Had a sweep yesterday (40+2) and had some pain but I don't know if this really is it. I wouldn't mind the pain so much if I knew Baby was coming but there's been nothing. I had a really bad contraction last night - so bad it woke my Hubby but nothing since. image
    2nd Sweep on Tuesday then booked for an induction on 29th (Sat). Been told that I need to ring in the morning to check they're not full!! so it could be even longer!
    Good Luck to everyone!
    Karen
  • karen,

the same happened to me. had my second sweep on wed my edd - and had really stong pains last night, but nothing now! Lots of gunk coming out today (sorry girls!) think its a show again, had it last week too.

But seriously, nothing is going on!!! MW said I looked favourable for labour and cervix soft and 1.5 dilated, but arrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh not a sign!!!

Sarah x

40+2