Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Sweep!

Hi,
I had a sweep performed yesterday morning and was hoping that something might have happened by now.
Wondering if anyone has had a successful sweep and how long afterwards labour started?

Replies

• hi, i had a sweep with my fourth baby in october, it was really painful nothing like a smear as some people say!!
    i had that at around 12 midday and my little boy was born that night at 1.40am.
    i tried everything to get things moving along and i can honestly say that a proper good sweep is the only thing that worked.
    good luck xx
  • Hi
    Am on the Jan boards so you might have already read this. I had a sweep on Tuesday, which was a bit uncomfortable but absolutely fine. However, nothing happened at all. I think she managed to sretch me to 1cm though. So, had another one today in hospital and was extremely painful and thought wa going to scream at one point (was a baby and cried). Husband was v upset by it as he could hear but not see. I have no hope that it will work though. I think it works for about 50% of people..I know people who have had their baby the next day and then people who have had two or more and nothing. Think if going to work will be in 48 hrs. good luck to us both!!
  • hi. i had a really good sweep with my 4th. the m/w stretched me to 3 cms and i gave birth 2 hours later. with my 5th the sweep helped but didn't put me in to labour like my 4th baby.
  • Hi, I had a sweep at 39+6. This was my first baby. We walked miles and miles after too to try and get things going, but nothing! I had a 2nd sweep at 40+6 (was left a week as xmas was in between). I was told that often it takes 2 beofre things get going. Anyway, again i did some walking but nothing. That night i was sat on the bed relaxing watching hollyoaks and my waters broke! Contractions started 2 hours later. Unfortunatly baby holly still hadnt arrived 48 hours later so i had syntocinon drip to enduce her. All worth it in the end! So better luck with the 2nd one! I was told to stay very active after it to try and irritate the cervix so thats my advice.... then lay on the bed and watch hollyoaks while you can still keep your eyes open long enough to see the screen! Good luck! x
  • i had a sweep and it didnt absolutely nothing for me.. apparently i was very favourable and the chances of me going into labour fromhaving the sweep was very high but the furthest i got was some mild period light pains and very light bleeding. If i had another baby i wouldnt bother with a sweep!
  • Hi i had a sweep on the sunday afternoon and went into slow labour monday morning and had my little girl tuesday night so it worked for me, good luckimage
  • hi, i had a sweep with my fourth at about 10am and midwife said i was very favourable(??) my waters broke later tht afternoon and had babe that eve, all went really smoothly.
    had been induced for my previous 3 labours, so it was a wonderful feeling to go into labour at home. hope this helps x
  • Sounds like this is it for you then kimmie29, good luck let us know how you get on. When i was 3cm the hospital kept me in so shouldnt be long before your baby is here x