Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Epidural

Hi

I am quite keen to have an epidural and I know that they only give you one from a certain point onwards. As sometimes the anthestist (sorry spelling) is sometimes busy you can miss out on having one.

Does anyone know from experience or knowledge when the earliest is that they will give you one?

Cheers

Jen x:\)

Replies

• hi i didnt have one first tome (im terrified of lifts and wanted to be able to walk up/down stairs), but loads of people i know have had one and i think its from 3cm, and you cant have one if you are already fully dilated (cause then theres no point, its too late. hope that helps. others may have had different experiences, but that is the case in my area. i think it is the same for any form of pain relief that youi have to be at least 3cm dilated, (except cocodamol, which they gave me, but no use atall!)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

• Hiya, I know you have to be at least 3cm dilated before you can have an epidural as they can slow labour down, so they want to make sure you're definately in active labour first. Also, most hospitals won't let you have one once you've passed 8cm.

I had one with my first 5wks ago & i'd definately recommend it! I kept all the feeling & movment in my lower half but no pain...fab!! xx
  • hiyaa i had one and it was fantastic, i had mine when i was 5cm (classed as in labour), i did have to kick up a right fuss about having from tho as she said that the was no one to give me it and not enuf mw's on high dependecy as you have to move to there when you have one, so if you know you want one its worth telling them and keep telling them, that soon as you can handle the pain you want one, even if you put it in your birth plan the dont take no notice well my mw's never lol i was in so much pain and so tired, but when that had kicked in i was sat up drinking tea and toast.

you cant feel contractions and u dont know when do push so you are hooked up on a monitor, dont worry about it hurting going in coz you can feel anything as you are to busy thinking about your contractions, hope this help, anything else you need to know just ask x
  • Hi

I thought it maybe around 3 to 4 cm so was gonna request one as soon as i got to the hospital so they knew!

Thanx for your replies

Jen xx
  • Hi hun,
    I had my baby 2 weeks ago. They said I couldn't have an epidural untill I was 4cm dilated. They also say you can't have one once you're passed 7cm.
    If you want one though, make sure you kick up enough of a fuss till you get one!

My baby was back-to-back and I had a horrendous labour. they couldn't give me an epidural (or any pain relief) as I was only 3cm and not dilating more. Anyway I was begging them to check me again but noone would as they were so understaffed. After about 12 hours I was screaming at them for some pain relief so they sent me up to the labour ward. As soon as I walked into the room my waters went, then they checked me and I was fully dilated. I was so exhausted and petrified of pushing my baby out as I just couldn't imagine the pain getting even worse and me keeping it together. My body was trying to push my baby out, which I had no control over and they said my baby would be here in 10 minutes. After an hour there was still no baby and I turned into the devil and demanded and epidural and said I was NOT pushing this baby out till I had one! Like you could not push your baby out! Hahaha! They finally gave me the epidural on the understanding that I would probably have my baby before it kicked in but just knowing i was having it helped.
    Luckily it did kick in really quickly, and it really was a miracle! I could breathe again! My baby was still another 40 minutes, despite the pushing as she was in such an awkward position.
    I ended up having a ventouse and tore really badly too so don't regret having the epidural at all. Eventhough they said I would.

So if you want one then make sure they all now as early as possible, and don't let them fob you off like I did! Epidurals really are amazing!!! xxx
  • Hi i had mine about half hour after they broke my waters but it didnt come up high enough so had it repositioned and guess what, the same thing! I had 3 in total and none of them took properly so gave up in the end! They are fab when they do work though i had one a couple years ago when i had my knee op but i was very ill after! Not had much luck but i know loads that swear by them! Just keep asking and they will have to listen!x
  • Hiya, I had an emergency c-sec so had no choice but to have an epidural and i think its amazing! Didnt really like the fact I couldnt feel anything for hours after but if definately have one again! If you want one you bloody have one hun! dont go through unnecessary pain i say! x
  • Hi

I had an epidural with my son, i was adimant that i wasnt going to have one but after a very long labour i was to physically drained to carry on. I had mine when i was about 6cm and i thouht it was wonderful, i went from being in total agony to watching Jeremy Kyle and having a nap lol
    At my hospital they wont let you have one til your 4cm but some are 3cm.Just request one as soon as you can. I only had a small dose and was able to feel all my contractions and push my baby out without any assistance but without the pain. I would definately recomend it to anyone as you are far more relaxed and can enjoy the whole experience. Ill definately be having one with my daughter in July.
  • hey, when i first thought about this i would have said 4cms to 8cms but when i had one giving birth to my son, i was only 3cms, so each hospital may be different .. it was amazing i was pain free and it was great to conserve my energy for pushing however when having my little girl i had one and two top ups and none of them worked which i was really surprised about ... they are great just keep an open mind as when the time comes you may be coping fine without it and may not even enter your head to ask for one, im now pregnant with my 3rd baby and have experienced birth with and without one .. but will ask for one again if needs be, lets hope it works xx
  • thanx girls, will definately be requesting one as soon as i get there! will be most adament too so no fobbing off

Jen xx