Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First babies always late?

Hello,

I am very worried about being overdue, mainly because I am scared my parents won't be able to be around when my baby is born. They live in France and their respective employers have given them 3 weeks holidays, from the last week of July to the 15th August. My baby is due on 6th August...

Most of my friends were overdue with their babies, and I would be so upset if my parents had to go back home without meeting their grandchild, especially as I don't think we would be able to travel to France until the baby was at least a couple of months old. I know they would be very disappointed. They can't change their holidays as my dad's firm shuts for 3 weeks so holiday dates are not negotiable.

I'm hoping my little mite will turn up a bit early or on time, but I have the feeling it is quite rare... Your experiences would help, thank you!

Replies

• Options
    i can't really say that is true as mine 1st was 2 days late and my friend had hers early so it all depends on your body i think its 7 weeks when you can get a passport for your child just make sure there injection are up to date and that will be fine phone the passport agency and find out about baby so then all bases are coved good luck i can't wait to be PG with my 3rd

http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/37/3708/370809.png

• Options
    My first was right on time! If you have a midwife appt shortly before or after you're due you could ask for a sweep, see if that helps things along.

Hope your LO arrives before your parents have to go.
  • Options
    My first was on his due date! image
  • Options
    Mine was on due date too. Glad to see others - I thought I was the only one! People are always so shocked when I saw she was right on time. Super punctual like her mummy!

From all the other Mum's I know most were late. But also some were early so you just don't know I'm afraid. My twin was 5 days late with her first.

• Options
    hi only one of my friends had her baby over due and even then it was only 2 days and thats out of 5 of us x
  • Options
    Thanks girls it's reassuring. All my friends were almost 2 week late so I thought it may be the norm. Rosalie, it's impossible isn't it, nothing we can do apart from wait and see. Hope your hubby can be there. Your lo is so cute!!!
  • Options
    And so is yours baby B, sorry I hadn't noticed! image
  • Options
    G/C from Due in May,

While pregnant with my first a friend was due the day before me - she had her wee boy 3 weeks early, whereas my wee girl was a week late! 2 year on I still find it bizarre that their birthdays are a month apart! My SILs first was 10 days early too!

Our NCT class had one 3 weeks early, two born 2 weeks early, two born 1 week early, 1 who was pretty much on time (2 days late) and then 2 of us who were a week late.

But as a few people have said there really is no telling. I agree with PinkToothbrush if you have a midwiveappt on or near your duedate ask for a sweep.
  • Options
    My little girl was almost a month early.

Out of our NCT group (all 1st time mums) 2 were a month early and one was pretty much on due date.

Good luck!

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png

• Options
    me and hubs are both eldest. he was small and 2 weeks early. I was big (10lb2!) and 2 weeks later. I'm hoping for an 'average' sized baby on time!
  • Options
    My first came on his due date!! hoping second comes on time too!

Staceylou
    39 weeks!
  • Options
    hi there

my baby was 4 weeks early. my waters broke one evening when i had spent an hour bouncing on my birth ball for an hour that afternoon image

Lisa
  • Options
    6 wks early image
  • Options
    my 1st was 2 weeks and 3 days early!!

hope your bubba come on time or even a little early but not too early tho x x
  • Options
    Hey, you have the same due date as my DD! She was actually born a week early on 30th July xx
  • Options
    3 days early x
  • Options
    Hi mine was 1 week early, I'm now 33+3 with my second and hoping he/she will come early too! x
  • Options
    Evan was born a day early.
  • Options
    My lo's EDD didn't change the whole way through my pregnancy from 2 early scans, my dates and the gps dates right through to the 20 wk scan - it was always the same. I was convinced this meant she'd arrive on her due date.
    In the end she was 2 weeks early - got the day right, but the week wrong!!

mrs_ed
  • Options
    Thanks everybody, I'm a bit more relaxed about it now, and whatever happens happens.

Kimmy, I'm having a little girl too just found out image Hopefully she'll be on time or a bit early!

xxx