Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

heavy bleeding after delivery

hi girls, after i delivered my son when they went to get the placenta out (had the injection) i lost quite a lot of blood. they told me the placenta was stuck and every time they pressed on my stomach another gush of blood would come out. it took over an hour for me to deliver the placenta with lots of gas and air. once delivered they said that it had got stuck because it was so big. had blood tranfusions but not till 2 days later. my son had weighed 10lbs 1oz and i know this is heavy but i have never heard of people having a placenta that was too big to deliver. i had been in labour for 14 hours and they had just given me the syntocin through my drip to increase my contractions as i was still only 5cm dilated. it had been in for less than 5 mins when i felt i had to push so i had dilated 5cm in 5 mins. my son was pushed into the world 11 mins later. so the actual delivery was extremely fast.

it really scared me and dont feel that telling me it happened beacuse i had a large placenta is right. now it may be that is what was wrong but i just cant get it out of my head. we would love to have another baby in the future and im really scared that it will happen again. has this happened to anyone else? or something similar? i just feel im not getting the answers i need from the professionals. infact on the notes my doc has it says i had a caesarean!!!!! so im not putting much faith in them at the minute.

Replies

• Options
    No Placentas can't be too big to deliver (it's still alot smaller than a 10lb baby, well done you!) The bleeding sounds like it had partially separated, so it would bleed from the detatched bit but be stuck by the adhered bit, another dose of the injection would have helped and less fiddling with your womb! Don't worry about next time x
  • Options
    Hi I bled heavily after the birth of my daughter I had a pph and had to have a blood transfusion also. I was told that it was because I had a quick delivery (4hrs from first contraction) It has taken us 4 yrs to have another baby (due in 5 weeks) but the care I have rec'd so far has been great and they are prepared for me when I go into labour. Don't be scared and ask lots of questions and get them to write everything in your notes.