Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Copying Sam.. My Birth Story

I had been having Braxton Hicks for a couple of weeks before my due date, which was June 17th. Ikept telling the midwife that they were kinda painful, but not painful enough to stop me doing anything and she told me that pain with Braxtons can be normal for some women.

I saw the midwife on the 17th, which was the Tuesday. Because it was my due date, and tarran had shown no signs of wanting to come out, she arranged to come out on the Sunday and do a sweep. I didn't know what a sweep was and when the midwife informed me just what it entailed, I did not want one at all. It sounded so intrusive and I didn't like the idea of it. She told me that going for a long walk can help bring on labour, so that night, Nick and I took a walk to Tesco... at half 11 at night lol.

On Wednesday night, I started getting pains again. I kept timing them. I was writing the number of minutes between each pain and the time the pain started on a piece of paper otherwise I would have forgotten the lot. That's how forgetful I was. At midnight, the pains were 2-3 minutes apart but still not painful enough to ground me (although not much can as far as pain goes because I do have quite a high pain threshold).

I phoned labour ward, who told me I couldn't be in labour because my waters hadn't gone and because I could talk through each pain. They told me to take paracetmol and have a bath. They also booked me into Blair Bell, the ante natal clinic type thing for a check up, to make sure everything was ok. I actually slept like a log all Wednesday night until 7am, where I woke up with the pains again, stronger than the previous night but further apart. Again, I phoned labour ward who still insisted I wasn't in labour and to keep my appointment at Blair Bell. They did tell me though after wards that my labour had properly started just after I got to the hospital at 8:45am.

I went to Blair Bell, where they took 1 look at me and took me straight up to labour ward. The woman who took me up, told the midwife when I got there that labour had properly started on the way up. But I was absolutely starving lol.

I was taken into a delivery suite, where a midwife examined me, and told me I was 5cm dilated. She did a sweep, and then told me I was 6cm dilated. She would keep coming in every 15 minutes, checking the baby's heart rate (which never altered once through the birth, even as he was being born). At one point, I thought my waters had eventually gone. It came with such a gush. But the midwife said it was a show. Having never had a show before, I was gobsmacked. I expected a small trickle of water, not a massive explosion of watery blood. By this point though, my waters were still intact. I had gas and air almost immediately because she said I was far enough gone to have it.

At about half 11, the midwife stopped coming in every 15 minutes, pulled up a chair and stayed in the delivery suite. At this point, we all knew it wouldn't be long. Poor old Nick tried his hardest to be brave bless him. But to say he was pooping his pants was an understatment.

When I was ready to push, the midwife told me to go with what my body wants to do. It was 11:45am at this point, when I was ready to push. Nick stood holding my hand through every push, but the poor sod couldn't cope and nearly passed out. He went and had to sit behind the curtain by the door. I also had a doctor in aswell, watching the birth, as he had never seen a natural delivery before in his career. They asked if I minded and my response was 'what do I care.. any dignity goes out the window when ya giving birth.. dance around naked chanting for all i care' lol. Nick did watch his son being born, but from a safe distance and sitting down.

Just as Tarran's head was crowning, the bag of waters was coming out in front of him, in a big bubble, so big that it was actually stopping me from pushing him out. The midwife had to manually burst them so I could give birth to him. I remember her saying to the doctor that they don't normally do it, she said it was a shame to cause distress to such a calm baby and go through having to do a c section on an all but perfect labour. Was just the big football coming out between my legs that was the imperfection. Within 3 minutes of the midwife breaking my waters, Tarran was out on my chest and the cord was in the process of being cut. That was at 11:58am. He weighed 8lb 5oz and was 56cm long. (and ante natal told me I was going to have a small baby lol).

Tarran is now 12 weeks old today. He sleeps through the night, is incredibly active, is weaning, is almost sitting without support, he can stand with support... he almost talks. I swear to god he says actual words sometimes. Its nscary to think he is saying words but I think its just gurgling lol.

The only thing I hate about having a baby is the interfering afterwards from the health visitors who never see your child, yet insist on telling you whats best for them.. and they can never agree. One tells you one thing and another tells you something completely different.

Replies

• Wow you make it sounds so easy, did you have any pain relief?
  • all i had was gas and air.. i even tried to deliver the placenta without the magic injection to push it forward, but 20 minutes got boring lol. i did end up having quite a few stitches though because the force of the membranes coming out before tarran ripped the err.. perenium i think its called.. wasnt a deep tear, but a long one.