Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

is this a silly question?

I'm wondering what to wear in the bath at the hospital when in labour ( if I dont have to be induced) if I need to wear anything at all i'm a bit shy tho?.

My hospital doesnt have birthing pools but does have a bath in each room, and women use it for pain relief.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sarah x

40+5

Replies

• hiya
    ive been told that once your in labour you wont care about what your are or are not wearing, most people ive spoke to tend to go naked or recomend wearing a big tshirt (long enough to cover u up) or a nightie! but id go with whatever you feel comfortable with!
    hope you dont have to wait much longer for your little one. good luck x

hannah x
    35+4
  • how about a tankini top or a bra im hoping for a water birth so im going to wear a tankini top hope this helpsimage
    37+6
  • thank you girls... think i will wear an old bra in the bath - my mum and sis are coming in as birthing partners so dont want them to see all my bits - will just subject them to the really yukky bit at the end!!!

hehehe

Sarah x

40+5
  • Hi, I've always had this thing about being naked in strangers....but believe me, when you've given birth u don't care!!!!!!!!!!!!! x
  • Hi

Like you Queenems, after a while i didn't care what i looked like - i think a guy mowing the hosp grass outside my deliv room could prob see my a*se through the open window - not a pretty sight at 6cm dilated LOL!!!!

I just wore a big old t-shirt (i stole it from OH!) as it was the most comfy thing for me to be in. I also had some cheap big pants (cld throw them away after) and some warm socks - good for early stages but not when things got a bit too hot (but good for after LO born when up and about in night).

I got in a bath (not pool) at about 4cm, but it was awful. I'd been on my TENs and that was working well, then got in the bath - pain multiplied and i just felt cramped (beached whale-like!) Then i couldn't get back into the TENs. However, i hope it works for you.

Good luck Sarah - i've been keeping an eye out for your birth post so hope it's soon for you. All the best to Lin and Hannah too!
  • thank you juliette!

Getting fed up now.... hoping it will be soon.

I know I wont care what I wear when Im in the throws of labour, but my mum and sis are gonna be around, just want to keep a little bit to myself if I can hehehe...

Ive got a nigtshirt that Im gonnna wear, doesnt matter if it gets yukky.

Im not using a tens but would u recommend it? Thought early on I would try the bath, but that made you feel worse. I suppose I will give it a try.

All the best to Hannah and Lin too

How old is your LO?

As soon as anything happens I will post it on here (if she ever decides to come out!

Sarah x

• Hey Sarah
    i found the TENs really helpful but when it comes to the time just go with what works for you. I guess if you have a TENs set then at least you could give it a try (I hired mine from Boots and earned points!) I think a pool is great but the bath was just too small for me. A bath really early could be ok tho???

Matthew is just over 5 months. Doing really well but has a bit of a cold at the mo so snotty and a bit grumpy!

Take care - thinking of you