Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Induction?????

Hi Ladies.

I'm booked to be induced on Sunday.
I'm feeling quite positive and relaxed about it at present but do have some concerns as I've heard it can be awful and much more painful than natural labour and can often lead to more invasion forms of intervention.

Honestly, what is it like?
Would anyone mind sharing their experiences with me? Good or bad!!!

Do you always need the pressarys? Or can they just put you straight on the drip? They did explain how it worked in my antenatal - but that was months ago!!

Thanks very much.

Lisa
41 weeks

Replies

• Hey,
    I was induced with 2 previous pregnancies due to having high blood pressure. Don't really remember too much about it, i know they used pessaries and broke my waters and put me on a drip. I think it ust depends on how you are progressing before they do anything else.

1st pregnancy i was induced t-time on monday and didn't have dd till 7pm day after. 2nd was much quicker tho, given pessary in morning and gave birth 3am. don't worry about it, its hard even to remember it the day after, you'll be on such a high when baby arrives. Good luck
  • I was induced at 16 days overdue. I went in at 15 days over and they said that I was contracting naturally and so left me to it for a while but I wasn't progressing any so the next morning I had my waters broken and was put straight on the drip. I could barely feel my earlier contractions but certainly felt them on the drip! They became really intense really quickly and I struggled to cope with my tens machine. I had a shot of morphine which helped me so much. It was painful but Ive never had a natural birth so can't compare. Just remember your midwife is there to help, don' be afraid to ask for pain relief if you're struggling. I found myself struggling after 10 hours and was about to ask for an epidural just before my LO's heartbeat dropped and I had to have an emergency c-section.

It is painful, I dont want to lie to you, but you do find ways to cope. Like my mum told my beforehand, its a necessary pain, and it's so completely worth it image

Good luck image