Forum home› Pregnancy› Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Epidural experiences

Has anyone had a bad experience with an epidural?

Replies

• I was wondering this as i dint know weather 2 have epidural or not, i dunno wot 2 do,
    Im 4 days over as well, so not got much time 2 decide xx
    Have u had epidural b4?
  • I had an epidural with both of my pregnancies. The first had to be delivered by ventouse and the second by forceps.
    I would recommend an epidural.
  • i was induced, so labour pains were extra strong, i didn't have any views on whether i wanted one or not, i just thought i'd go with the flow. i started with a Tens machine, then used Gas & Air, when neither of these were working for me, i had pethidin (this did nothing for me), so i then asked for the Epidural (as the pain was too much to bear). It was wonderful & allowed me to enjoy the rest of the birth/delivery, you are numb from boobs down to knees, so can't move about much, but it wears off. i would defo recommend one if you need it. some people manage just fine with Gas & Air. just decide when the time comes. If you need a C Section, you won't have choice.
  • I used gas & air in water to deliver my daughter and i cant decide whether or not to plan the same again for my next one. ive thought about an epidural but i dont want to risk the use of forceps etc
  • You won't necessarily need a ventouse or forceps delivery after an epidural. A friend gave birth last week in just 4 pushes (& she'd had an epidural). x
  • I love them and have already said I want one. I will be induced 2 weeks early so the pain is always worse with induction. I will have one as soon as labour established. if you ask for a mobile one it is not so restrictive as you still have use of legs. Everyone different though and entitled to their opinion. I had first one as baby breech but I delivered her but had to have epidural to do so. Its a breeze. I did not have one for 3 and 4 and deeply regret it. number 3 because I wanted to be earth mother (not all cracked up to be) and number 4 as no time (less than 3 hours from start to finish). will def def def have one this time....they are fab!!!!
    d x
  • I'm planning an epidural - the risk of intervention like forceps, ventouse etc. after having an epidural only increases by 5-7%
  • I'm also planning an epidural. I had an horrific first labour which resulted in both vontouse & forceps together and it was the worst pain i have experienced, this time from the start i have requested epidural.
  • i used epidural even the doctor told me i have more chances to have a c section or vacuum or foreceps becouse i was indused but i had exelent labour no pain and NO STICHES no vacuum no foreceps so i guess i was lucky cos i dont know if anyone in the world is more scared than i was and i was begging for c section but now i'm glad i had vaginal birth pain free thanx to epidural
  • I had an epidural and i would definatley have another. My baby had moved back to back and evn when I wasn't having contractions it hurt like fuck, so after a good 8 hours on gas and air - made me puke and sent my face funny, I had an epidural - it slowed my contractions right down, but they speeded them up and although I was pain free for the rest of the labour, I could feel pressure when I had contractions so I knew when to push. They told me I would need an assited delivery but I didn't - my midwife was fab. And even if I hadn't of planned on having one, after listening to all the other mums screaming their heads off - I would of paid for it.
  • if your being induced i would definately consider an epidural. the pain comes on quickly and intensely. I was induced and survied for 8 hours on g&a, i then had pethidine (which made me a bit high)b4 finally deciding to go 4 the epidural. i wish i had asked for it earlier as i was in a great deal of pain by then. It also meant when i was rushed in for an assisted delivery (which didnt work) i was able to have a spinal block when the did the emergency c section instead of a general anesthtic
  • i am also considering an epidural for this one, with my first i only had g&a and pethidine (and id hate to know what the pain would be ike without them cause in my opinion they did nothing!), i had however decided i didnt want epidural first time cause im terrified of lifts and knew if i had one id need to be wheeled to ward in a lift....but think id enjoy birth more if i had epidural this time, from what ive read from ou guys anyway. does it feel kind of claustrophobic?in other words is it scary cause you cant move your legs?
  • I had an epidural with my first baby which didn't work at all and had a 23 hour labour, gas and air took the sting off but for such a long period of time I was surprised I had the energy to push. Ended up using forceps and vaccuum. Second baby I got to 7cm on my own then opted for an epidural. The aksed the anaesthatist to stay until it worked and he gave me the lowest dose so I could still move around and walk. Was great. They only had to top me up once and that was about an hour from pushing then that wore off and felt the whole birthing of my baby girl, the burning when I tore and everything but because I could feel her moving with every push I knew I was making some progress so the pain was nothing really. I say don't rule it out but go for the lowest dose and see how you go. You can always top up to a total block if you feel you need to but if you have one you will be more relaxed and enjoy it a bit more, especially if you have a long labour.
  • I didn't have a bad experience as such, but wasn't allowed an epidural til really late, and so when it was time to push i couldn't feel a thing! sounds great right, but they had to try ventouse delivery which didn't work so finally delivered by forceps, and because of this i needed a blood transfusion. I'd still recommend an epidural though if you feel you want one, because for me the pain got so bad. They tried to bump me off with paracetamol at first can you believe! good luck xx image
  • I am having one but if your first maybe see how you go as some people cope with the pain and some dont. Some have whopping contractions and some seem to have nice gentle ones. Mine are whopping. thats not me been a baby but the midwives have told me with all 4 of mine that my uterus contracts almost violently and you they get very high on the monitor. You can see my tummy going into a triangle shape during the peak. I find labour intolerable and wish for death each time!!!!!!!!! I will have epidural BEFORE they start inducement as I think I will go from to 10cm in hours!!!
    Good Luck on whatever you decide and remember whats best for one is not necessarily best for you.

d xx