Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

stretch and sweep

hi evereyone was just wondering when u go for a stretch and sweep does your cerviv need to be open or closed because i went for a stretch and sweep on friday and the midwife said that she could not do it because the cerviv was closed xxx

Replies

• Options
    hi it needs to be open so that they can insert their finger to do the sweep. i went at 40+5 and they couldn't do it for the same reason 3 days later i had one and was already 2cm dilated which i didn't know as had no signs. my lo was born the following morning. good luck x
  • Options
    Yeah it defo needs to be opened, I have had three now but it has done nothing so don't expect too much when they can do it. Although it did cause me to have several parts of the show come out so I got my hopes up that it was going to happen and it hasn't.
  • Options
    Yes definitely needs to be open I had mine and i was already 1cm, 1 hour!!! later I was in labour and my daughter was born the following day

xx
  • Options
    Hey

well baby was due 30th april and still waiting. Got my 1st sweep this friday (9th) and I hope to god it works as im dying 2 hold my little girl. last couple of days though been feeling quite peeky and had the runs people have said tis usually means labour will follow....any ideas if this is true?

ta x
  • Options
    I had a touch of sickness and runs in the run up to Eleanor and everyone had an opinion on labour following. Can't answer your question as Eleanor didn't show up until 12 days over...by section. good luck......just know that its not the most pleasant thing in the world (the sweep) but its part of bringing your little person into the world. I really do wish you all the best. the sweep started my labour after about 30hours.....thats the exciting bit...when you do realise you're in labour. Happy birthing...keep us posted
    xx