Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pain Free Childbirth (Pavlov / Lamaze) - anyone heard of it?

I have just finished reading a book called 'Thank you, Dr Lamaze' written by a woman who had her babies in the 50's and was tutored by Dr Lamaze himself about the Pavlov method of childbirth. Basically, you learn a series of breathing techniques, muscle control and self-massage to enable you to have a completley pain free childbirth. The book also mentioned another book by a Dr Dick Grantly-Read about childbirth without fear. It didn't go very deeply into what the actual tecniques were, but it was really really interesting and has made me feel more confident and relaxed about labour, which should help. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of these methods or even used them?

Replies

• not heard of it but is probably too late for me as i'm due anytime, but painfree sounds good to me!!
    too late to learn anything like that i would have thought!! glad to hear you have relaxed about labour, i'm terrified and reading a book of my sisters with the pictures of a baby's head crowning did NOT help!!!!Em xx
  • Grantly-Read's method is the basis of what's better known as Hypnobirthing... which, according to my cousin, does exactly what it says on the tin!
  • I read something simular, a Dr Gowi Montha. She says that with regular reflexology and daily self hypnosis you can find a safe place to go in your mind and not feel tha pains of labour. I tried it but only in the last two weeks of my pregnancy. I do feel that I was able to cope with the pain better in a deep state of relaxation, but did find that I needed gas & air towards the end!