Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

anyone who's had an homebirth??

I'd really love to have an homebirth this time round but just want to know a few things first like what pain relief can you have? do they have emergency equipment on them just in case something happens? in other words, i want all the in and outs on what to expect from an homebirth before i tell the midwife thats what i want. I'd just love to be in my own surroundings because i'd find that more relaxing. Has this been better for anyone else? thanks for any info. xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamard20040909_-1_Ethan.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev235pfs__.png

Replies

• Options
    I haven't had one yet... but I'm at 38 weeks and booked in for a home birth, so any time now! I'll let you know how it goes. But as far as the ins and outs are concerned, it really is worth discussing it with your mw as the policies will probably vary slightly from area to area.

For pain relief, obviously the main thing is that you can't have an epidural, but you can have gas and air, tens, water- pool or bath- and some areas will offer pethidine (mine don't- they say that if you need pethidine then you should really be in a hospital environment and they would transfer you).

The mws will have some emergency equipment, for instance they are fully prepared to resucitate the baby if it doesn't start breathing on its own. They can give you the injection to deliver the placenta and do stiches at home if you need them and so on. They will normally send 2 mws out to you, one is with you more or less throughout and the other comes when you are getting near to delivering. They will also alert the local ambulance service when you call them, so if they do need to transfer you in a hurry they can do so.

If you look at the statistics, home births are supposed to be just as safe as hospital ones provided you are low risk. My mw did a home visit for me and hubby and talked through all the things that could potentially go wrong and what would happen in each case. I think that it makes a difference how close/far you are from your nearest hospital, as there are obviously some circumstances where they would need to transfer you. Also, I found it reassuring that they would be quite happy to transfer me if I simply decide that I can't cope with the pain or just change my mind! They made it really clear that at the end of the day, it's my decision.

Hope this helps, sorry if the reply is a bit long! I know there's a few others around on be who have had home births and might be able to tell you more.

Poz
  • Options
    hiya, i had a home birth this time round. we had a birth pool in a box and i just had gas and air for the last 10 mins. it was incredable. i really wanted it and thought i could do it but i was worried i might get scared when it happened but it felt the most natural thing in the world i did what i wanted when i wanted and the midwives just went along with it. i even delivered chloe out the water my self. i planned to deliver the placenta naturally but after an hour and a half of waiting i decided to have the injection to speed things up. the midwives have resusatation stuff and stitching stuff incase neeeded. hope all goes well. sian
  • Options
    Hi I had my 3rd baby at home and now run a home birth support group. I think the others have answered your questions about pain relief and emergency equipment but just to say that being at home in your own environment and in control is the best form of pain relief! I just used the pool and it was fantastic. I can honestly say that it was actually an enjoyable labour and a wonderful birth. My husband and I say that it was the best day of our lives.
    What area are you in? It might be worth you seeing if there is a group near to you as we talk about the pros (100's) and cons (can't think of any!) of home births and you would get to hear about other peoples stories.
    Your labour and birth experience will stay with you for ever and the best place to have a baby is at home! I always say that you should plan to have a home birth then if at any point you decide you want to go into hospital you can but you can't do it the other way round and decide when you go into labour that you want to stay at home. The very few people that do have to go in to hospital for various reasons during labour all feel more positive having at least started at home. I had to go in for stitches as I'd had 2 previous forcep deliveries and episiotomies, 3 large babies and a complicated tear but it was so insignificant after such a wonderful birth and we were back home in 2 hours and in our own bed which is the best feeling!
    Communnity midwives are usually very experienced and most problems can be anticipated long before they arise.
    I really hope you decide to have your baby at home. xx
  • Options
    Hi,

I hope to have a homebirth this time round. I tried for a homebirth with my son, and was glad I did, although I had to transfer to hospital after 30-odd hours as whilst I was fully dilated he was stuck. Being at home meant I could relax in my own surroundings and feel in control, which I couldn't have done in hospital. Also, I had the lights turned down very low which was relaxing. I was able to go into myself and go with the flow, which I don't think I'd have been able to do in hospital. Was also great that they were no other women screaming!

Being at home means you always have a midwife present, so you're probably monitored more than in hospital, and they can pick any potential problems up early enough to transfer you in if necessary.

Also, I hated the drive in to hospital as I had to sit down which was v uncomfortable, but at least it was quick as it was by ambulance and they put the flashing lights on- I really wouldn't want to have to travel in a car whilst in labour and risk getting caught in traffic.
    xxx