Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Anyone been induced by just having your waters broken?

Anyone else had induction by just breaking waters (don't need prostin because I'm already 2cm dilated)? Did it work or did you end up with drip anyway?

Replies

• Erm, don't know if this helps but...
    I went into spontaneous/natural labour and was progressing well but my waters hadn't broken so my dilation slowed right down to 2cms in 4 hours. The mw broke my waters (which was completely painless) and I went from being 5cm at 7pm to having my baby at 9:25pm. There's not a doubt in my mind that having my waters broken was the key factor to having such a quick birth (bearing in mind it was my first), just be prepared for the contractions to come thick and fast cos the full weight of the baby will be pushing on your cervix.

If you can get away with not having a drip then go for it. I really hope its as successful for you as it was for me x
  • Thanks pixie!! I'm starting to feel a little better about it and looking forward to meeting my LO tommorrow!
  • I had my waters broken and you dont feel anything, just a whoosh of water lol. no drip was used with me.
    Within 2 minutes of breaking them though the contractions went from 0-100 and I found it too painful too quick if that makes sense so i asked for the epidural.......bliss lol.
  • hi. i was induced with my 3 rd baby this way by just having waters broken , i was 2 cm as well. but unfortunatly 4 hours later nothing had happened so i was put on a drip to speed things up and within 30 minutes i gave birth.
    it all depends on how soft your cervix is really and if it is anterior or posterior. the midwife who broke my waters said that i could have done with a little prostin gel really to soften my cervix up before my waters were broke , but they broke them anyway and like i say nothing happened.
    hope it all goes ok, and remember everyone is different.
    good luck.xx
  • Thanks! My cervix was in the midline and soft...dunno what it will be this week since me and hubby have been trying everything to help it along!
  • hi. that sounds like your cervix is moving in the right direction. time can only help, and trying to help it along as well!!! lol. good luck. xxxxx
  • I had my waters broken as was 3cms when got to hospital for my induction but I was put straight onto the drip as well. It wasn't bad at all, just meant I was confined to the bed area as was being monitored the whole time too. Had waters broken at about 9.30am, pain got bad at 2pm and baby was born at 4.46pm so not too long at all really.

Good luck anyway! xxx
  • im getting told on tues my date for induction.... i dont really no alot about it but reading these posts has eased my mind abit. x
  • hey nicospoon,
    i was induced. was already 3cm before waters were broke and having small contractions. so they broke my waters at 130pm and left me to see if anything happened naturally. but at 3.30pm i was put on the drip. pain kicked in at 5.30 so went onto gas and air and baby mia came out at 7.48pm.
    not even half as bad as i had imagined so i am sure you will be fine.
    xx
  • i was induced by just having my waters broken but i did get put on a drip also even tho i had going into labour naturally. I also ended up with an emergency c-section as i wasn't dilating.
  • Seems really common to end in c-section. I did in the end! Oh well...no more inductions for me. Next time it will be a section.
  • I was 5cm dilated so she broke my waters, make sure you have your gas and air to hand though because omg contractions ... it's like they never bloody stopped. but luckily it was only 1hour20mins before I gave birth. which was like painless - very confusing I always thought the pushing would be painful but t was quite enjoyable compared to the contractions.