Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Can you refuse to be induced ?

hi ladies
just wondering if you can refuse a induction date if you go over due, obv depending that baby is well ?
is there a certain date in which baby has to come out ?
as i no they will offer me a date soon to be induced just in case, but i really dont want this if i can help it, as i had it last time, just want things to come natural.

Replies

• I was talking to a lady @ a toddler group last week and she also wanted to wait to let things happen naturally. She eventually went 3 weeks after her due date before she had to be induced. But she said from two weeks over she had to go to the hospital every morning to be monitored.

I'm not sure what the cut off point is, have you spoken to your midwife? She may be able to give you more facts.

Good Luck
    xxx
  • Hi hun, in France they dont even give you a due date and no-one is induced as they believe a baby sends out signals when its brain is fully formed and that starts off labour naturally. They think that when a baby is ready to be born it will come of its own accord. I have to say i personally wouldnt want to go over by any more than 2 weks and id want to be induced incase the placenta gave out. x
  • hey chick.
    you have the right to refuse to be indued if the baby is well and healthy and there are no health risks and concerns. most people prefer to be induced after a few weeks due to the worry of something happening with the placenta. hoping that you wont go over though. my lo was 6 day over and they had booked me in for an induction but i had her the day after they booked it lol xx
  • Yes you can refuse. In my area they induce at term + 10. But if you don't want this they offer you twice weekly monitoring and a scan to check the volume of waters around the baby from term + 14. I was induced at term + 9. I found the contractions very strong and painful and hated being hooked up to my drip and monitors. I ended up with a c section but didnt mind as it was a good experience.
  • Hi my baby book thing says if baby is well they may allow you to go a little over 2 weeks but depends on your area, as your placenta is giving up by then and you become at a greater risk of stillbirth because of oxygen and food not getting to LO.

My midwife told me some people would never go into labour naturally so if it goes more than 2 weeks its not looking hopeful.

On the upside I was booked to be induced with my first and I went into labour the day before very happy!.