Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

getting labour started

hi i was wondering if taking castor oil actually works or if there is anything else that can help get labour started - any tips?

thanks xxx

Replies

• Hi Lou

Its not recommended to take castor oil hun as it can make both you and baby poorly.

There are the usual things that people try and some work for some and dont for others:

Hot curry
    Fresh Pineapple but i've been told you have to eat about 7 for it to take any effect.
    Raspberry Leaf tea from week 37 + is supposed to help soften the cervix therefore bring on contractions.
    Walking up hills or long walks.
    Bouncing on a birthing ball.
    Sex and nipple stimulation.

None of these have worked for me so far but may work for you, maybe worth giving them a try. I think sex and walking are the most popular choices.

Good luck hun!

Emma 40+2
  • walking up stairs side ways helps the head engage!! x
  • in my experience nothing works unless your already going into labour, then you can have sex which can encourage things to move along. Good luck tho xx
  • in my experience nothing works unless your already going into labour, then you can have sex which can encourage things to move along. Good luck tho xx
  • hi, i would say the same as em hun, walking, running up the stairs, very hot curry, hot bath, and plenty of sex lol, good luck hun.x
  • don't think anything really helps, the baby will come when its good & ready & thats it..
  • it does sometimes work but only coz it makes u really sick . . . my aunt was ill when she did it and wants me 2 do it but im 2 much whimp lol good luck though hun xx
  • i drank reasberry leaf tea from the day i turned 37 weeks bout 5 to 6 cups a day worked for me little man arrived 5 days later

but i think that was just timing i think baby comes when good and ready