Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Less movements in the days before birth?

Hi ladies,

Am wondering if in the days before you give birth, babys movements are less?

Ive been told this by several people and is supposed to be a sign that labour is imminant. Thing is my baby seems to be wriggling more!!!!

Is this just an old wives tale or in your experience is it true?

Thanks

Sarah x

40+2

Replies

• im 4 days overdue and been having bad cramp like pains quite often the past couple of days so hopefully somethigns gona happen soon but the babys been moving like mad sometimes the movements r so big it really hurts and feelings like its gona burst out lol
  • My lo was really active right up until my waters broke after that i dont remember a thing.
  • My baby is due in about 19 days and I hardly feel the movements anymore.
  • its wierd isnt it? Some babies are active, some arent. Mine does feel like shes gonna pop out the front at any minute sometimes!

Seems like it doesnt really effect when you give birth then... I just thought that one of the signs that labour may start is that your baby calms down to preserve energy for the birth.

Sarah x
  • I asked my OB/GYN about this about 2 weeks before I gave birth and hew said this way an old wives tale and shouldn't be used for hoping labour is close etc. That they expect baby to still be moving in the same sort of pattern that they have been but that every baby is different as is every pregnancy. Always check with your doctor at every visit and make sure they are happy with the movement and heartbeats etc. Mine would go bonkers for 2 days then slow on the third day then start all over again. This was the routine for my whole pregnancy so was good, even on the morning of labour she was wrigling around. Take care and good luck! Take in all that movement now cause when they are born you will miss that bump. I do!