Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Jacks Birth Story

Hi all sorry its taken so long to post this but who knew babies where such hard work lol

well as i posted before my waters broke on last sunday but alas no contractions but we went up to delivery suit just to be on the safe side and they sent me home and said if nothing happens by tuesday come back, well monday arrived and NOTHING so me and my mum went back up to the hospital thinking i was only going in for a check up and when i got onto the ward the MW told me i was being induced, i was so shocked as i only had a week left till my due date and i wasn't in any pain, but due to risk of infection for baby they said this was best. so i sent mum home to fetch my hospital bag and i rang James to let him know.

at around 12 i had my first lot of gel done 6 hours later nothing was happening, so i had another lot done..............nothing! then the Dr saw me and said they will put me in a delivery room and set me up with a drip which should start my contractions but after they whole drip was finished still nothing......... during all of this James is driving back from work to the hospital thinking he's missing the birth.

the on call SHO decided to do an internal exam at around 10am on weds morning and descovered that my fore waters where still intact ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and she cant break them as my cervix isn't open enough so MORE gel. by now i'm getting pissed off and annoyed that nothing is happening.and that i'm being asked the same questions over and over again, when the Dr came back i was nearly in tears when she said that there was no change. so for 2 days i was attached to the CTG machine being proded and poked and it was for nothing. arghhhh.

then after another 2 syntocinon drips , yet another dose of gel and being bed bound for the CTG, finally at 7am i started having period like pains and by 8am the rest of my waters broke. my exact words where " oh great at last" but of course they broke at change of shift so i was on my own for about 10 mins, then the pain really hit i turned into the incredable hulk screaming at everything esp James who was only just trying to help. i finally met my MW Fay and she gave me Gas and Air, which is okay takes the edge off the height of pain but doesn't totally kill it, Fay asked me if i wanted any other pain relief and i screamed for an epidural.

the anesthetist arrived just as James was in the shower and i was high as a kite due to the gas and air he introduced himself and my reply was "hello i'm Lisa the pregnant lady whos in a lot of pain who also hates needles"

he was great said "the only bit that will hurt is the local anesthic to numb the area, after that you won't feel a thing." James came out of the shower just as the whole thing kicked in

Girls i'm shit with pain and needles but i would advise anyone to have an epidural it was bliss after that i couldn'tfeel a thing i even managed to get some sleep.

at around 10 i was 4cm dialated and by 12 i was fully dialated, at 1pm the second midwife Helen joined Fay and i was told to push on contractions. Only problem was i couldn't feel them. Fay put her hand on my tummy and told me when to push (just think about having a poo and your there)
the Dr joined us and brought in a registra and a studant MW and asked if they could watch. But at this point i'm past caring and just want this baby out.

The Dr wanted to use a ventouse but i begged her not to, and to Fays and Helen amazement she let me carry on .the registra then appared with this needle and i swear i almost hit the roof. i screamed " i Hate needles" she replied its to help deliver the placenta and you wont feel it anyway as you've had an epidural. Fay and Helen said "but she has a fear of needles just dont let her see it" i felt like ripping her head off. cocky bitch lol
finally after pushing for what felt like a lifetime Jacks head was born and the relieve was unreal. i actually thought that was it, it was only when fay said i needed one more push i said " what its not over yet" but sure enough after one more push it was over and Jack was placed onto me, noone had even told me what i had and i had to ask James who had just caught a glimpse. Jack was laying tummy to tummy, the next thing i remember is telling james "it a proper baby,and it stinks" lol everyone in the room started laughing, then Jack was whisked off to have a bit of help breathing so James didn't get to cut the cord.

then we had some time to ourselves before being transfered to the postnatal ward.

Jack is now 6 days old and is cute as hell even if he does wake up James at 3 am everynight.
and its so true the minute they are born you seem to forget the pain.

i will post some pics when i can find the cable to attached the camera

Take care all

Lisa, James & Jack

Replies