Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

What do i need to be looking out for? First signs of labour

Hi everyone,

I am 39 weeks tommorrow and i was wondering what has prompted people into thinking that 'this is it - it has started'

I know there is the obvious - contractions and/or waters breaking but did anybody have an instinctive feeling that todays the day or did the aforementioned just happen?

I have found myself feeling more tired than usual and i have had the cleaning frenzy of my house, but the time is just dragging on now. The midwife has said that the baby is 3/5 engaged but i understand that won't give me a clear indication of when 'it' will happen.

Maybe i am just impatient and god knows i should be just enjoying the rest cos that will change so i would appreciate your thoughts on this about when you first knew labour had begun or was inniment.

Hales 38+6

Replies

• I am 38+5 and this is my third baby. Last week I woke in the night with strong period pains and regular strong contractions every 15 mins. After 3 hours of this I thought ok it's coming. Then when I got up it stopped and haven't felt a twinge since. I think if you get these signs and they get closer and stronger then you are in labour. Of course some women's waters brake which is a sure sign. My friend who has trained as a midwife said she has known these false alarms to happen for up to two weeks before the birth. It's so frustrating though and the more I think about it the more nervous I get. (even after 2 I am still really nervous about the birth)
    You will know when the real thing happens. Hope all goes well for you, (and on time)
  • Hi, I felt really restless & I decided to go to bed after watching tv until 01:30, I then couldn't get comfy in bed - I couldn't lie down & I kept going to the loo all night...as well as feeling restless it felt like I was feeling a bit poorly like when your period starts, a dull ache but no pain. I started to have a jelly like discharge (sorry if tmi!) which continued for the whole labour & you will know when you are definitely in labour as you will have to stop talking during the contractions which for me felt like waves of vibrations running through my body which progressively got worse until I was jumping about during each one - if only someone had filmed me!
    My waters had to be broken in hospital & don't always break at the start - which was a blessing for me as I'd just had new carpet laid! lol!
    I felt very emotional too & it wasn't long until I was calling my hubby to come back from work as I didn't want to be left on my own...my best friend also came round to have a laugh at me in pain!!! lol!
    Good luck with your labour when it happens & definitely take this time to rest & pamper yourself.
    xxx
  • Thanks for your replies at least i have an inkling of what i need to be looking for!!

xx