Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

induction

hey all im searching for some help im only 6 +2 weeks preg but this is no 3 and i was really quick with my fist 2 hour and half last time so im wanting to get nduced at 38 weeks my first 2 came at 38 and 39 weeks so i know thhat bub will be fine ive got a good doc behind me but was wondering if any one has managed to get induced for this reason as doc thinks we will need to fight hard any tips??

Replies

• i want to be induced at 38 weeks as that countas as full term because im terrified of giving birth on my own or worse in frount of my 5 year old and2 year old as im so quick an ambulacne wont reach me in time it takes half hour to get to the hosp so im being practical
  • Hi

Not sure if they will agree to induce. Even though 37 weeks onwards is counted as full term they don't like to induce you untless there is medical reason because of the risks of induction to both baby and you.

I tried to broach the subject of fast labours with my community midwife and the head of Midwifery and was dismissed both times. I was quick with my first 1hr 40 mins and this time they are telling me it wont be as fast?? I was induced first time by pessary (due to high blood pressure at 39 + 4) and they say this is why i was so quick but I am not entirely sure of their reasoning. My mum was 4hrs with me (induced) 2hrs with my middle sister (natural) and 25mins with my youngest sister (natural). I think I will be following in her footsteps.

I am the opposite though and hoping for a homebirth and I am worried they wont get here in time. I spoke to an independent midwife who said they were silly to dismiss me being quicker this time and I should try to find out info on catching the baby myself (scary), I would like to hire her but too expensive.

You can but ask ,hopefully they might be sympathetic to your concerns. I told them I was going to be quick last time which they found amusing until the first time they checked me and I was already 9cm.
  • hi girls thanx for the replys i talked to tommys charity midwives and they seem to think theres no reason why i shouldnt be induced but deoens on how nice a consultant i get ill keep you posted xxxxxx
  • queen bee i think you have just hit the nail on the head!
    my twins were induced at 38 weeks - and had to spend 24 hours in an incubator due to breathing problems...
    i had previously had steriod injections to mature their lungs too.
    these were horrible by the way as the side effect was itching sore sun burn - with no tan!!!!!!
    that must be why you have to fight for early induction- the risk with breathing problems...
    i was only induced beacuse my twins had stopped growing - and needed to come out !
  • my 1st was born at 38 weeks and 2nd at 39 and were both fine xx guess i was lucky
  • i spoke to my midwife and she seems to think we can achive it wouldnt of been a prob a few years ago as we had a midwife locally so i could have had a home birth but there isnt one now thin the mw i see at the clinic are about half hour away
  • Hi Faith M

If you think Homebirth is an option and they are saying they do not do them in your area I would look at the homebirth.org.uk website and also contact aims (aims.org.uk). If you want a homebirth they may not be able to fob you of with that.

Good luck with which ever way you go