Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

C-section hospital bag

I looked like I was moving in when I ad my c section!!! Basically everything you think you need x100000000!!!!! But remember that you partner or visitors can take things home to wash and bring you spares in. I was a big fan of paper pants, but get some massive ones so they go over the top of your scar line, same goes for normal pants as well, I found out the hard way that pants sit on your scar line and they hurt, get big over your belly ones. Take some snacks in as well, you will be starving when you get on the ard and you may have missed meal time! Lots of vest, sleepsuits, cardies, a couple of blankets, some pjs/nighties for you, slipper sock, toiletries, maternity pads, magazines, everything really! I had two bags, one for me and ones for baby (or babies in your case!) and I showed my partner where I had put everything, so when I asked him to pass something he knew where it was. I think that's it, if I remember anything else I'll let you know!!xx

Replies

• hi i agree i found when i had my planned section that i took lots but used only the nesicery things one suitcase should be enough when is ur op good luck
  • Thanks for your help, seeing consultant today and we are going to agree on a date, it will be weird when i know, and there wont be any waiting for labour going overdue etc things to worry about. did you feel a bit 'cheated' by not going into labour naturally? xx
  • hi there i did feel cheated a bit but as u say no pain i will say 1 thing u may find once u get home is sleeping flat is hard and very painfull especailly when u get up to feed baby tip- fold up a double dovet and use this along with pillows to sleep helf sitting up it helped me heaps hope u get the birth u want
  • That's a good plan lynn p. To be honest I didn't feel cheated by not going into labour, I suffer from a joint condition and knew I could never have a vaginal delivery without doing myself some serious damage. I can understand why some people do feel like that though.xx
  • Hello,
    Im not going in for a c-section and my bag is massive....Hee Hee...
    Dont worry hun at least ur prepared...
    Ive been shoppin for everythin with my mam today and still need to add bits to it yet hee hee...Im taking a case on wheels...My partner has just walked through the door and laughed at everything ive got...
    I printed off the birth checklist on this website and am also pregnancy and birth checklist...So you cnt go wrong with them x no of days stay...
    Hope this helps..
    Good luck chick....
    SWxx
  • I know this sounds silly but I was thinking of using a small wheely suitcase to take as my hospital bag as I don't have a big enough holdall - will I look ridiculous - like i'm off on a mini break or have other people used a case rahter than an actual bag?!!!!
  • I ended up having an emergancy section with my first and was packed for a 'normal' birth!! I also used a wheel along suitcase its perfect size for everything.....I found I had all I needed except dispoable/net knickers which were supplied by the hospital any way but are so comfy and like suzaie says big knickers to go above your scar as they will be most comfy for you aswell....and lots of pillows (when you get home) to keep you upright (moreless) when your in bed as it is uncomfortable lying down etc...and its hard work sitting back up!!
    How far gone are you??
  • Because I dont know what I'm having I'm only planning on taking one babygrow (cream) then when baby is born sending hubby out to buy either pink or blue babygrows. I know I'm being daft but thats what I want to do.
    Our hospital provides all the nappies etc so I don't need to pack them (which is good). I'm really not looking forward to staying in the hospital I know I will get upset when hubby has to leave, I think its going to be really hard for him too. I wish he could stay with me.
    xxx
  • Hey thanks to everyone that has replied to this thread. havent been on here as was taken into hospital on the 7th feb and only released today (im ok had all signs of prem labour but they have stopped it for now so am at home on rest am 33 weeks now so getting out of danger)

I had a small bag packed for going in and i am going to take all your advice, for anyone else reading this the thing i forgot and really needed was pen and paper. useful for filling in menus and writing down questions for m/w that you suddenly have in middle of night. also found sleep mask useful. hope everyone is good xx