Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

is it true that...

...waterbirth reduces your chances of tearing?

is this true only if you deliver the babies head while in the water? or does using the water as pain relief help to..ehem..stretch you?

Replies

• hun if ur worried about tearing they say its a good idea to use a gentle oil (baby oil etc) and massage n kinda stretch perineal area everyday from 38wks
  • Hey there is a theory that the warmth of the water and the way it obviously softens the skin allows for more efficient stretching, also when in the water during delivery women tend to be in a more optimal position and therefore less likely to tear, listening to your midwife at the pushing phase and almost trying to pant/breathe the baby out is also attributed to decreasing your chances of tearing too. My first two came very quickly and with my first i ahd a 3rd degree tear - my second came even quicker at home and i had a 2nd degree tear - now 24wks with number 3 i'm doing lots of anti-tearing research lol - but it really isn't the worst thing in the world. Good Luck
    Jo xxxx
  • thanks ladies - i guess i should get the BFP before worrying :lol:

but things are v quiet on the work front so i'm doing lots of research while i have the chance.

i'm only slightly worried coz i have a slight frame (size 8) and all hubby's family are really tall and have heavier frames (his sister's babies have all been BIG) - hopefully our future kiddies will take after my side (ie midgets hehe)