Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

home birth

hi does nayone know the pain relief you are allowed at a home bitrth? and what is it they use to determine whether youd be allowd to have a home birth ? this is my second and am considering a home birth, last time i had g&a and pethidine and had no intervention

Replies

• Im not sure but i think you can have most pain relief but not an epidural...but dont take my word for it i may be making it up lol. If you havent had any complications in your pregnancy and your not classed as high risk you should be able to have a home birth, mention it to your mw and she will be able to tell you more image
  • hiya,
    You can have Gas and Air, Pethadine (not everywhere so check with MW) TENS, birthing pool, birthing ball.
    At 36 weeks if you have a "low risk" pregnancy ie:no complications such as pre eclampsia, diabetes, severe anaemia your midwife will go through the whole home birth thing with you and make all the arrangements.
    I had a home birth 13 weeks ago with my third and it was amazing i would really recommend it!
    If you want to read my birth story heres the link -
    http://www.babyexpert.co.uk/index.php/chatroom/topic/12451#124168
  • I had a home water birth with my first 5 months ago and would also recomend it! Don't forget you can also use alll the natural stuff like homoepathy, acupuncture ect. I found them brilliant!
  • i had homebirth i was told i could have pethedine if i wanted but just went for gas and air, u will be surprised at how much easier u find it managing the contractions as ur relaxed and have all ur comforts around u, lots of luck if u do decide on a home birth, i too wld def recommend it. xx