Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

can a sweep work if the cervix is found to be closed?

.........i ask this coz that is what my mw said at yesterdays sweep (see due in april forum)

has anyone had a successful sweep despite being told this at the sweep?

the mdwf was quite happy afterwards and said i should labour within 72 hours, but is this possible if she didnt manage to open the cervix?

bit confused ?

also in the notes she circled '1-2cm dilation' - so does that mean i'm dilated? (she didnt say) ??:\?

i have 48 hours to go into labour or its induction on monday image

Replies

• nope it wont work as the whole point of the sweep is to sweep the sac of membranes which cant be done if the cervix is closed.
    you could be dialiated but that the cervix is just still too high up and hard like mine?

am jelous you get to be induced before me.
  • nope it wont work as the whole point of the sweep is to sweep the sac of membranes which cant be done if the cervix is closed.
    you could be dialiated but that the cervix is just still too high up and hard like mine?

am jelous you get to be induced before me.
  • but i would rather go into labour naturally than be induced??

im a bit miffed as the mw was really nice so dont know why she said it should work, she didnt see the cervix being closed as a problem

i had a feeling it wouldnt work..maybe i should try get another sweep done tomorrow?? before monday when i will be 41+4??
  • My mw offered to do a sweep at 39+4. When she had an initial feel around she looked a bit doubtful and said "I'm not sure I'll be able to do it" (presumably my cervix felt closed) but then she had a bit of a poke about (nice) and said "oh no, I've managed to get one finger in, I'll perform the sweep now."

So I assume it IS possible to do it even if the cervix is closed, but only if it's on the point of opening and soft enough to be manipulated a bit.

Really hope you go naturally - it can't hurt to ask for another sweep. I had my little girl within 48 hours of mine.
  • hiya

i just rang the mdwf and asked for another sweep but she said theres no point and that when they induce me on monday i'll be admitted to the ward until my contractions start. i was a bit image to hear that but i guess it makes sense...........so lets see what happens.

i guess there is always today and tomorrow, have felt nothing but a bit of cramp since the sweep. my mum goes back to London tomorrow so it will just be me and hub until my sis gets here which will probably be wed when i might have had it by then!!

thanks for all your advice girls. im gonna go on the web now and do my research on inductions.........if anyone has any tips or advice then feel free to post :\)

xx

41+2
  • My cervix is still closed, but soft and low down, I have had 3 sweeps now and all of the midwifes have said there is still a chance they can work...

last one was 5 mins ago on a home visit, but not holding out much hope.

xx
  • i know exactly how you feel but good luck............my sister went in to be induced and started naturally, so you never know

im still the same, my mums gone back home so its just me and hub tomorrow at 3 .

feel a bit weird now that the time has come

xx

41+3
  • i had a sweep at 11:00 this morning started to get period like pains that feel uncomftable hopefully this is the start of my labour