Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone give birth in birthing centre with first baby?

Hi ladies,

I'm due in around 5 weeks and have decided to go to our local birthing centre which has a great reputation and is half and hour from nearest hospital. I'm a little nervous though as I would hate to be transferred halfway through and I know first labours can take a lot longer. I'd like to use just relaxation techniques (have been learning), gas and air, and water for pain relief. But will I be screaming for an epidural!!! Did anyone manage ok with these and baby number 1. Would love to hear from anyone that had a good birth experience in a birth centre for their first baby.

34+5

Replies

• I had my first baby in a birth centre and was really pleased i did. It was a quiet day there so i had one on one staffing. The atmosphere was relaxed, i had my own room and my oh could stay in the room with me. As for pain relief i used gas & air and tens. I did struggle at some points. Unfortunately you can't tell how you are going to get on during labour but i was glad i chose birth centre over hospital as it was a positive experience
  • Thanks for your replies lina and queen bee. Still hoping to give birth in birth centre and your replies have helped reassure me! The staff are great and the unit is fab, very relaxing rooms with birthing pools and fab after care. Fingers crossed I can stay there for the whole labour. xxxx