Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Water Births

Hi girls

Hope you are all well. I have been thinking for awhile now that I would really like a water birth and was wondering if anybody had this and how they found it. I am a little worried you can only have gas and air so was just wondering how you girls managed with the pain?

K xxx

Replies

• Hi

With my first I only used gas and air mainly because I didn't have time for anything else (labour only 1hr 40mins). I found the pain bearable until i had to lay down on my back but gradually my body adjusted to it. Gas & Air made me feel out of it and I didn't like it that much.

This time around i had my baby at home and used absolutely nothing. It wasn't necessarily my intention not to use pain relief but just felt I didn't need it. I coped with the pain a lot better than I did last time and was very relaxed, probably being in my own surroundings helped.

I found deep breathing really helped, relaxing into the contractions and I kind of went into myself. Also hubby rubbing really hard on my lower back got me through each one.

This labour was a lot longer, 17 1/2 hours early labour followed by 4 1/2 hours active labour. It was easier and less painful than last time mainly because my frame of mind was right (I tried to think of the contractions as a positive thing getting me to my end goal, this made it easier to relax with them and not tense up thinking of the pain) and also I wasn't scared (adrenaline apparently counteracts the necessary labour hormones and can make things more painful). Also being able to move around as you please helps you cope with the pain and stay of your back - I really found this the most painful place to be and not once did I lay on my back second time round. I spent a portion of time in the bath (just before pushing) and water does help with the pain too.

I used a pregnancy hypnotherapy CD (Maggie Howells) but only for a week before the birth but I believed this helped me get into the right frame of mind.

[Modified by: Bec & Emi on February 26, 2009 01:22 PM]

• hi i had my last lo on just gas and air, but couldnt use the pool as i was induced, and even then i found labour pretty ok to cope with, you go for it, if it gets too unbearable for you and thats only an if you can get out and have something a little stronger!!
  • Hi, I managed fine with just g&a in the pool. I dont think you can have any other pain relief in the pool. With the right breathing technique and listening to your body you should be fine!! xx
  • Thanks girls thats made me feel loads better but just having gas and air. I think the key is not to worry and stress but I guess that is much easier to do with you have had a baby already with your first I bet it's scary but like you said you have to focus and go with it.

Thanks girls

K xx
  • well i am on number 4 she due in a few weeks i am terrified but like you said the key is deffo not to stress or panic it makes labour so much worse its all about staying calm and relaxed!! i just wish i could heed my own words!
  • HI I went from having an epidural with my 1st, just tens machine with 2nd and nothing but the birthing pool for 3rd. I was so comfortable in the pool and loved it. I laboured on all fours just breathing through the contractions with my face nearly in the water, it was amazing! I just didn't feel the need for any other pain relief. Being in your own environment will really help you be able to manange the pain. xx