Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

How long after a "show" did you go into labour?

Hi everyone.

I'm 41 weeks today and i notice last night that I had a slight tinged discharge.
Then when I got up this morning, there was some more more.

I am assuming that this is a show.

How long did it take for other women who had this to go into labour?
I've read that it can be a sign of labour, but it can be days or weeks away. Surely not when i'm 41 weeks :\)

Thanks
Gill

Replies

• i started having contractions a few hours after my show, but i think that is very quick! had l/o the same day!
    is it def' i show? i think there would be ALOT of discharge
    good luck hun, i'm sure your l/o is on its way!! image
  • Hi ya, I've always had quite a bit of discharge, but this time it is definitely tinged with blood.

No my luck probably only early days.
  • i'm sure at 41 weeks that 'something' is happening!! go for a long walk or something! xx
  • lol, I've done that. Walked to my mums which is a mile away. Shattered by the time I got there.

I'm going to go for a hot bath now and wait patiently.
  • bless ya. do you know what your having? any names picked?
  • HI mumto2, I think it varies, with my first I had a show after contractions started lo was born same day labour was long at least 16 hours, and with my second I had a show then got contractions 5 hours afterwards lo just missed being born same day by 14 minutes labour was very quick just 4 hours from first contraction to her birth...lol

Good luck fingers crossed x x x
  • Yeah we're having a girl. Going to be called Emily
  • just realised i addresed my post to the wrong person.. it should have been to morgwick...lol..sorry... Just re read the whole thread again... show can come in all types... my first was bright red blood with dark read clots in it... of course I did panic, my second was just a small amount of brownish discharge that I thought was normal discharge but it wasnt...

I dont mean to scare u when I said about being bright red blood... apparently this is normal for some people, but I didnt know at the time and I was really scared, which is why I wanted to share the tmi bit incase it happens to anyone else..

sorry for my cock up of my previous post being to worng person image

Good luck x x x
  • i was an hour lol x
  • I went into labour within a few hours, my show was not bloody but very clear and big that it actually frightened me when i heard it plop into the loo (sorry too much info there). Good luck I am sure it will happen for you soon xx
  • I had my show then 35 minutes later I started having contractions, mind you, she was then born nearly 17 hours later!! I would definitely say something is going on as I was 5 days overdue... good luck!! x
  • Hi. Still here image

My show continued all yesterday, and like coxley, I heard the "plug" drop into the loo. All night I have had really bad period type pains and lower back pains, to the extent I was considering putting my tens machine on.

But now, I feel like nothing is happening again image
    This little one doesn't want to come and if not here by Saturday I may have to be induced.
  • Hi morgwick, the period type pains could be the beginning of labour. I had a show and then the next morning my waters broke and then I had period type pains that were quite regular for a day and then went into labour.

Keep us posted, hope the birth goes smoothly xxx
  • Hi morgwick, i should have really said my show was on the sunday morn & i had pains all day sunday then nothing through the night so slept well, they started again the monday, up all monday night 2 trips to hosp who said dilating slow to go home till waters broke etc & finally the tues hopsital kept me in when i was 4cm, my daughter was born the wed morn. so did take a while sorry xx
  • Hi morgwick, sorry gatecrashing again, but just popped on to see if anything had happened... think we should all get together and send you labour vibes...lol... good luck and hopefully your lo will make an appearance soon x x x
  • I had a show in the morning, went to antenatal that evening and was really excited and asked the midwife about it, but she said-oh, it could be ages yet, dont get your hopes up-but within an hour of returning home, my waters broke.
    Good luck hun! amy xx
  • I've had more of a "show", but aches had gone. Went for a walk which seems to have started the aches again.

My waters haven't broke, so not been to the hospital. Just waiting.
  • Good luck morgwick, hope things start happening soon! x
  • And still waiting.. all signs have disappeared image
  • aww you poor thing, do you have an induction date? i was induced with my first and it was fine honest, don't worry!
    let us all know how you get on xx