Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Signs of labour

Hi everyone,

I'm due on 28th Feb, so 3 weeks till then. I keep telling myself that baby could arrive anytime between now and 5 weeks bearing in mind its my first one.

I'm just curious as to the signs of labour..... i've read loads, but its not the same as talking to people who have experienced it. I have no idea what a contraction is going to feel like. People keep telling me they feel like bad period pains, but i've never had them either!!

For those of you who have given birth before... do you always get a show before labour. I keep going to the loo hoping to see a show, but nothing yet! A friend I talked to today couldn't remember having a show, she just remembers her waters breaking!!

Your experiences are welcomed...!

Leanne

Replies

• Options
    I had a show at about lunchtime on the Friday, then feet and hands swelled up while I was watching rugby on the tv that night, then woke up being really sick Sat about 4am, with period-like cramps. Dd appeared at about 5pm the same day My waters had to be broken in hospital so don't know what that feels like. If it helps I knew straight away when I was in labour, just knew!
  • Options
    I was nine days over when i woke up thinking i had trapped wind it woke me a couple of times then a light bulb pinged and i thought this could be it!!! so i timed them and they were four mins a part but not very strong. This was at 4am my husband went to work at 6am i got up and went to the toilet and it was only then that i had a show. At 7 am we where in adsa as i insisted we needed "bits". My waters didn't break the midwife did this at 11pm that night. Oh and i don't want to put you off but it was painful i went in saying i only wanted gas and air or pethidine if it got bad but i had two bottles of gas and air two shots of pethidine and still ended up having a c section because i wasn't progressing. So my advice is to go in with open eyes and make decisions as and when they are needed good luck oh and it hasn't put me off i want another child asap it's definatly a forgetable pain when you see the result xx
  • Options
    if i remember rightly i didnt have a show with either of my two daughters.....my 1st (15years ago) was an induced labour as she was just to comfortable and wanted to stay put......my 2nd (10 years ago) my contractions started at 9pm on the tuesday evening.....dont remember the show though (probably did have one just dont remember that far back lol)......i was worried as my 1st was induced that i wouldnt know when it started with my 2nd......but trust me you know.....my waters had to be brken for me both times too.....i'm just not normal lol
  • Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I know everyone has a different story to tell about how it was for them, but for me its better to hear from you guys who have experienced it, rather than just read it in black and white.

Thanks again... Leanne xx

[Modified by: Kohei on February 07, 2007 10:30 PM]

[Modified by: Kohei on February 07, 2007 10:31 PM]
  • Options
    Hi Leanne,

My 1st I had severe back pain due to the fact she was back2back - needed epidural with that one coz I couldn't concerntrate on anything else cept my back! Waters broke 7am with my 2nd, and they sqidged n dripped til they said I could go into hosp at 11.30am!! Contractions had to be helped along with drip as I'd lost quite a bit of fluid by time I got there! No 3....well, waters went at 2am-flooded the bed and my hubbie(who wasn't impressed!), contractions came on bout 3am and I gave birth at 6.07am! Have no idea wot this one'll be like but officially 2 wks to go and I wish he'd get a move on!!!
  • Options
    Hi Leanne, I remember that about 7pm the previous evening my lower pelvis area began to feel really uncomfortable so much so that it hurt to sit down, I had to drive home that night and I remember being really uncomfortable in the car. I had another week to go so didn't think much of it, I just presumed that the head had engaged .... at last! I didn't sleep well that night and awoke about 5 am with a dull backache, I thought it was probably because I had slept badly, I had a bath and went back to bed. I awoke at about 8am and could feel a little trickle, again didn't think it was anything as well to be honest you get used to the discharge in pregnancy (sorry to be crude) however it kept coming so I rang the hospital and they told me to go to the Day Assessment Unit. Rang hubby and told him I was going to the DAU for a check and nothing to worry about, fortunately he insisted on coming home and taking me because by the time he got home I was having contractions 2 mins apart. Got to hospital at 11am where they confirmed that my waters had broken and I was 4cm dilated and had my little girl at 3.36pm so quite quick really. What I would say is that I usually get back pain when I get my period so in hindsight maybe I should have twigged that labour was beginning, my friend who does not get bad peiod pains also said that when her labour started she felt back pain. ps did not have a show until I was well into established labour. Good luck xxx
  • Options
    Hi Leanne. Firstly good luck for the inevitable event. Well I have two children and a third on the way, but my first labour - was not aware of it at the time, the day before, I just went for a ........well put it this way, I was not constipated and I had a clear discharge, kind of what you get when you are ovulating and then 0052hrs that night I woke with a start and guessed it could be a contraction, so I waited 20 mins to see if the same kind of feeling happened again, then the contractions were 15 mins, 10mins, 3 mins and 1 min apart - my waters were broken for me as I was 9 cm dilated as I arrived at the hospital. The second, I had the nesting instinct, so badly, it was raining and I insisted that at 37 weeks and 5 days I had to mow the lawn and the answer to why I did this was because I said the baby will be coming tomorrow. Cooked everyone a roast dinner, waters broke in the middle of doing so, but I did not tell anyone as I wanted them all to eat their dinner. Again I had a clear discharge and a non constipated moment... Rang a friend and the hospital quietly to let them know I shall be going in and that my midwife had confirmed I was 3 cm dilated 2 days prior at my antenatal appt. and then contractions woke me again at 0200hrs and the contractions came quicker than the last one and by 0442hrs she was here. I guess I have been lucky but I am sure I will be back on here for moral support later in the year ref my third. Good luck to yourself and to anyone else who is at that near imminent stage. xxx Ps One thing I will say, is no matter how long it lasts (yes you will have a moment or two when you acknowledge a clock in the delivery room) it will be the quickest hour / few hours or even 24 hours that you will ever experience XXX
  • Options
    Thanks again everyone - really good to hear how it went for you all. Just 2 weeks till due date now... i know I may go over, but don't want to think of that at the moment lol!! This last bit is really going to drag isn't it ... I just want to meet my little baby. I know I should enjoy the peace and quiet while I can, but i'm sure you all remember the last couple of weeks!!

Kerrys's Gang - you made me laugh about your nesting instinct and insisting on cutting the grass!!

Thanks again everyone... will keep you all posted!
    xx
  • Options
    i didnt have a show my waters just broke and then i idnt have any contractions for a while and then they stopped for hours and began again!

real contractions when they are at their worst feel like knives being stabbed into your lower abdomin and twisted over and over again...but! the also fade of in time for the next one and as they fade of you get another feeling of peace almost like a pain relief in itself, i think its the endorphines or something. dont wory it will end at some point, just after i had delivered i sadi to everyone id do that again tomorrow, just because of the relief that it was over!