Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Water birth

Has anyone here had a water birth? I'm thinking of one, haven't mentioned it to mw though yet. I want to have my baby in hospital as it's my first (and having a few issues with housing atm) and I know the hospital I will be going to has a birthing pool. Any advice would be helpful!

Also, can you still have your partner with you (silly question but thought I'd ask)
Do you have to get out of the water when the baby's coming?
What pain relief can you have?
I have a low-risk pregnancy with no complications so far lol

I'm only 20+1 but just had scan so I'm thinking about it a bit more lately.
Thanks x x

Replies

• hi i had the birthing pool when in labour with all intentions of having a water birth but i was in labour too long and felt like a prune! but i have to say from the moment i got in the water i felt much better and although i had the gas and air which helped the water is so soothing and i also had the late night love affair on the radio although didnt hear any of the songs i had a lovely fibre optic water lamp thing which made the room dim and i really enjoyed that part of my labour and will def request it again!!!! xxx
  • hello, i am planning to have a water birth in hopital also, as it is spose to calm you down and help the pain , my midwife told me that you shud have an active labour ( where youre walking around and that) until youre are ready to push or nearly 10 cm dialted and then you should go inot the pool.

tiger lily? when is youre baby due?
  • iv had 2 waterbirths one at home and one in hospital. they are wonderfull. i would recommend you wait as long as you can before using it so you really feel the effect of it as pain relief. my second baby, at home, i changed positions as i pushed so i was sitting (sort of) and delivered the baby on to my chest my self it was amazing. good luck
  • I'm due in April, so quite a while yet! Having a boy image

Hayley & Siandonna it sounds very relaxing, I'll defo mention it to my mw next time I go. I also heard you shouldn't get into the pool until you're in established labour as it slows you down apparently.

The thing is, my next appointment isn't until 25 weeks, and that's with my GP (just how it works round here), and then the one with my mw isn't until 28 weeks. Is that too late to decide what kind of birth you want? I've already told her I want a hospital birth, but when should I mention the water birth?
  • you can decide when your in labour it doesnt matter what you tell anyone coz no one knows how they will feel until it happens, only thing is to have it in the back of your mind that some one else might be in the pool so you dont get disappointed, maybe just wright it in your notes somewhere
  • tiger lily are you having a water birth at home or in hospital? x
  • I had a waterbirth 10 days ago with my little girl & I can honestly say it was a fantastic labour experience. Everything was so calm & you really felt as if you had your own space while in labour.

Your partner can be with you & if he wanted he could even join you in the pool (mine declined with that bit!!)

The water was a fantastic source of pain relief on its own but I also had gas & air which was lovely coz it distanced you from the pain at the peak of the contractions.

You can get out of the water if you want when it comes to the time to push. I've now tried it both ways (the 1st time I had to get out coz there was meconium in the waters when they broke) & I def preferred staying in the water to push. Once I pushed her out I was able to catch her myself & it was lovely knowing that I was the 1st person to touch her.

If your pregnancy continues to be low risk I dont see why you couldnt have a waterbirth. The only problem is that most hospitals only have 1 pool & it on a 1st come 1st served basis so if there was someone in the pool you couldnt use it.

You should discuss it with your midwife next time you see her

Good luck

Hilary
  • Hi there, I had a water birth at home and again had a wonderful experience. The great thing about it is that you are free of monitors and no one touches you, you just let your body get on with it. Mia came to the surface with her eyes open and didn't cry at all and has continued to be a very calm and contented baby.
    All the best! x x
  • Mmm sounds good myt try that one = )
  • Hi
    I had a waterbirth and have to say it was fantastic was so relaxing so much so my hubby nearly fell asleep in the chair. I would recommend this to anyone my lo was very alert when born and the mw said this was because i didn't have loads of drugs during birth only gas & air.
  • Hi
    I had a waterbirth and have to say it was fantastic was so relaxing so much so my hubby nearly fell asleep in the chair. I would recommend this to anyone my lo was very alert when born and the mw said this was because i didn't have loads of drugs during birth only gas & air.
  • i would love a water birth just hope I can get it as everyone was talking about wanting one at the ante natal classes and there is just one pool at the hospital! Reading what everyone has wrote is convincing me even more.
  • Wow, all the comments have been brilliant. Emma, I want mine to be in hospital. I definitely like the thought it can be as natural as possible and you do it yourself with no-one touching you as I hate the thought of midwives poking and prodding me! I know you can't have one if you need an epidural or are being induced but fingers crossed I'll be OK.
  • Can I ask a (possibly silly) question? Were you completely naked in the birthing pool? I'm sure I won't care at the time, but just trying to prepare myself if that's the road I go down (and I really would like it to be, especially after reading all these positive posts). Thanks
  • I don't know but I'm presuming it's up to you. I think I'd much rather wear a tankini top or something! If any of my tankinis fit me by then!
  • I was planning on wearing a top but when the moment to get in the pool came(7cms) it felt so natural to be naked. The water provides your privacy and space. There is a really good book called 'Water Birth' by Janet Balaskas, it was a great read and answered all of my questions. She does a workshop too if your in London.
  • Hi
    I wore a t-shirt which my oh and midwife removed as i was giving birth which was hard work as they like you to have skin to skin straightaway.
  • I had a home water birth in March and will never stop going on about how wonderful it was. My first 2 were hospital forceps and this one was so amazing. My midwife was so fantastic and didn't examine me once which was brilliant as I could just focus on my breathing and wasn't disturbed at all (apart from when my friend came to pick up my other childrens things and I had to shout out the password for nursery!) My midwife just let me get into the pool when I was ready (she is very experienced) and I spent the entire time on all fours until the last minute when hubby got in and helped me turn over then he sat behind me as our daughter came out head up with the next push. It was fantastic!
    There is also a water birth video by Janet Balaskas which is helpful to watch.
    I was naked too and it is much easier when baby is born then he/she can go straight onto your chest which is expecially important in water so that they don't get cold xx
  • I had a home water birth in March and will never stop going on about how wonderful it was. My first 2 were hospital forceps and this one was so amazing. My midwife was so fantastic and didn't examine me once which was brilliant as I could just focus on my breathing and wasn't disturbed at all (apart from when my friend came to pick up my other childrens things and I had to shout out the password for nursery!) My midwife just let me get into the pool when I was ready (she is very experienced) and I spent the entire time on all fours until the last minute when hubby got in and helped me turn over then he sat behind me as our daughter came out head up with the next push. It was fantastic!
    There is also a water birth video by Janet Balaskas which is helpful to watch.
    I was naked too and it is much easier when baby is born then he/she can go straight onto your chest which is expecially important in water so that they don't get cold xx
  • Thanks for your replies. It's made me more keen than ever. Just hope I'm not elbowing other pregnant ladies out the way in our desire to get to the pool first!!