Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Things to bring on labour!!!!!

Hi everyone! Im going shopping tonight, to finish my bag and i also want to stock up on all those natrual remedies that people talk about. So just need a few ideas of what is supposed to bring on labour? x

Replies

• Hi hun, I was a week overdue with my first & determined not to be induced so I had a clary sage oil bath, a hot curry & sex all in one evening and went into labour at 6am the next morning so this combo def worked for me! :\) xx
  • oooohhhhhh
    i'm so jealous... itried curry followed by fresh pinaaplle for dessert and SEX after - was a chore but hey ho - i gave it a go ; )
    it did not work...
    maybe i need that clary sage bit... where did you get it from ?
    my raspberry leaf tes arrives in the post tomorrow - i hope!
    oh my god - i am so-ooooo desperate to give birth now!
  • fresh pineapple but u have to have atleast 10 of them for it to make any difference....worth a go though lol x
  • so thats where i am going wrong - might nip out and get about 20 then!
    ;)
  • I tried everything. I drank raspberry leaf tea since 36 weeks, had lots of hot curry, pineapple, mw even suggested a glass of wine so i gave that a go.
    I was 2 weeks overdue with Max :roll: and had to be induced in the end, after 2 sweeps.
    So, for me, NOTHING WORKED!!!! It was very frustrating :x
  • It may be a more expensive option but my best mate had acupuncture on wednesday and she went into labour the same night. However she only finally had her baby today!!
  • Honestly I think sex is the best thing. Lily was 6 days early and I swear it helped. Forget all that pineapple & curry all that does is seem to make heartburn worse!x
  • I didnt have curry or pineapple as I dont like either much and as LouMichelle says, my heartburn was terrible & didnt want to aggravate it! I had LOADS of sex as my sex drive returned at 40 weeks - crazy I know lol - but it didnt work and I had to be induced at 40+9, I didn't have him until 40+11 as I had a failed induction & c section so I can safely say that sex didnt work for me! LOL xxx
  • I think it depends, my sister tried everything (other then sex, she wasnt in the mood lol) curry, walking, bouncing on a birthing ball-in the end I think he decided to pop out when she'd decided to stop trying lol.
    You could try scaring yourself into it, she swears with her daughter she was scared into labour by the doc because he was talking about inducing her and sending her home on the bus every hour unless/until something happened.
    I think our cat is intent on starting my labour-she waits until Im on my own with her then decides she wants to play, she'll run around and jump out at me, she really makes me jump and she never does it with anyone else. I swear she's trying to see if she can start me off xxxx

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/1;10051;28/st/20080729/dt/5/k/9e45/preg.png

• Hello ladies,

I am only 2 days overdue but so fed up and been trying everything! I have had a sweep, curry, not sex yet as its really the last thing I feel like, I have been for reflexology today as I have a few friends who swear it worked for them....will keep you posted!!

Even though I am really scared of labour and nervous about looking after the baby I am sooooooo ready to not be pregnant!!

C x
  • i know its not a natural remedy to bring on labour but i have heard castor oil works a treat
  • Castor oil is a bit old fashioned and tastes foul - will more-than-likely make you sick! So i wouldn't recommend it!
  • When i went the hospital for my Labour in Motion class the midwife said sex!!!! But you have to do it 3 times a day for it to work!!!!!!!!!! Hehe get busy!!!!!
    Goodluck

Annalisa 32.6 weeks :lol:
  • Sex really does work!!! Sperm contains prostaglandins which is the hormone they use in hospital to induce you. Although in my case i think it worked a little too well as i was 5 days overdue and hubby and i had lots of sex. Eight hours later i gave birth on the bedroom floor. My hubby now thinks he's master inducer!!! Good Luck x
  • well im 40 weeks n 1 day over due this is mi 2nd baby and i ve tried sex n pineapple,walks n bouncing on a ball n nufink aint tried hot currys as cnt handle hot food makes me ill bt caster oil i dnt wanna try so wat else is there ~????/ im sick of being pregnant now plz help me xx :? :? :cry::cry:
  • If you dont want to have sex, start drinking Raspberry Leaf Tea about 3 days before you plan to bring on labour, having 2-3 cups a day. On the day you plan to go into labour, have another cup of the tea, followed by a warm shower, dry yourself off then tip lavenda oil (massage oil or burning oil) over your stomach and rub it in.
  • dont take castor oil as can upset babys belly and make them poop inside u and then it endangers there health and yours, sex is a defo try as the seamen irratates the cervix, my friend gave birth last week, she made fresh pinapple and papaya smoothies for 2 days, had sex and blew up her birthing ball and used that, within 10 hours she was in labour and she was a week early!! defo worth a short, you can get fresh chopped pinapple in asda instead buying a hole one lol, u get 5 bit peices for ??1.50 x
  • I've heard that castor oil is horrible and can be really bad for you and baby so I wouldn't try that.

I've been eating hot curry, going for lots of walks, bouncing on my birthing ball and today had some reflexology.

I'm going to get some raspberry leaf tea and also try and get hubs to agree to some sex (he finds it a bit freaky as baby tends to move around when things get intimate!).

Accupuncture is also supposed to be good, might try that next week if nothing has happened by then!
  • im 40 weeks been drinking raspberry leaf tea for about 3 weeks now 4 cups a day, and been bouncing on my birthing ball everyday! cant have sex as hubby doesnt want to image. the other night i thought my little madam was on her way had 3 contractions at 15 mins apart but then nothing!! was gutted

• i had to be induced with my first cos my waters broke and i didnt go into labour so with my second i tried everything, pineapple, sex, raspberry leaf tea, curry, walking everywhere and the result? i had to be induced at 14 days over and ended up losing a lot of blood! Baby will come when baby is ready and should just accept it image make the most of the extra pre baby time and pamper yourself image