Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Going home after birth.

Hi everyone, I was just wandering how soon everyone was allowed to go home after giving birth. This is my third and want to get out as soon as possible to get back to my two other children. Karyn xx

Replies

• it's usually after 6 hours if there are no problems but if you give birth late in the day they might make you wait til the following morning...anita xx
  • As soon as the necessary checks are completed - obstetrician checks baby and midwife checks you and paperwork done. they do aim for 6 hours but I had my 2nd at 11:58pm and didnt get out until 4pm next day. With this one, depending on how I feel, I may want them to drag their feet so I can rest up before going home lol!
  • i'm booked into a birth centre and they'll let you go home after and hour or two if there have been no complications - in fact the maximum you can stay is 4 hours. If you want to stay longer they transfer you to hospital!
  • Ive found that the time depends on how long it takes for the paediatrician to check the baby. With my last one they did a blood test cos i lost lots of blood. By the time they'd checked the baby, the results were back and they wouldnt let me home til the next day cos my iron levels were too low- not fair!
  • A friend of my parents was in hospital for 2 hours and then was let off home (that was baby number 2 for her I believe)...

I was in for 5 days, including my birthday image but to be honest I was better off in hospital lol
  • hi all. i always stay in for at least a night as i have 4 kids already it's the only time i get to have a rest!!lol
    but i usually have to stay at least 48 hrs as i suffer from high blood pressure at the end of my pregnancies and this is recommended.
    but it varies to what sort of birth you have.
    good luck.x
  • i want to stay in hospital for a few days after i gave birth (its works for me in germany)and hubby got a few quit days before the baby comes home and he got sleepless nights.and i can have a good night sleep before all the stress begins.
    eve xxxx
  • my friend recently had a baby. She gave birth at around 6am and was allowed home at lunch time. It was her 2nd though. I don't know bout anyone else, but I want to stay in at least a night, to be on safe side, ellieisaac xxx
  • hi i had my baby delievered by emergency c section so i did have to stay in for longer. they was not gonna let me home for 5 days but i discharged myself after 3 because of the way they treated me in hospital. hope this helps good luck xx
  • I want to stay in for minimum only but midwife advised that first time mums should give it a bit longer. Just have to wait and see image x
  • had my baby at 22.43 on the sunday, was home for lunch on the monday! Had a nasty midwife overnight so was glad to go home before her shift started!
  • I wanted to stay in for the minimum but I had to wait to be stitched by a doctor so it was too late to discharge me by the time he had done it. I stayed overnight but couldn't wait to get home, the midwives were horrible and didn't help any of the new mums on the ward at all (I got shouted at at 3 in the morning for not changing my lo's nappy properly!) Couldn't wait to escape back home where I had my OH and mum waiting to help out and give me a bit of a rest. (I'm sure that is not the norm though - probably just my hospital)
  • If you have no complecation most mum leave within 4 to 6 hours. The GP now does the baby check so that speeds up the process. Just make sure baby is warm and fed well. Take the car seat in with you.