Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Question About Big Babies

Hi Ladies

I was just wondering if anybody who's had a big baby could give me some advice?

I'm 31 weeks and all through my pregnancy my baby has been measuring big. In fact today I've just had a midwife appointment and my bump is measuring 34 cm (my official notes dates are actually 30+2 so this is considerably bigger than dates!). So I'm being sent for yet another growth scan tomorrow. For info, my glucose levels have been fine throughout and they've re-taken a blood test today for confirmation that I've not got GD.

So anyway, what I'm really wondering is did anybody have a large baby in utero and give birth early? Was the birth weight not as big as expected? If the baby was big, did you go straight into 0-3 or even 3-6 months clothing? Just trying to get myself prepared!! And any other advice on preparing to give birth to a whopper?!

ps I'm quite relaxed about it, I'm not worried about giving birth to a big baby, but makes sense that I should be prepared.

Replies

• Hi
    i had a surprise big baby as i measured right for dates but you're right about the clothes; i only had newborn outfits with me in hosp and had to send OH out for 0-3 mths before we could go home!

I have had growth scans all the way through this pg but as they can be a pound out ither way they are not much help!

I had a diff birth last time as i was reclining on the bed; this time i hope to be able to give birth in a better postion, all fours, squat - basically anything where gravity is helping!

Good luck x
  • Thanks ladies. I have got a couple of newborn sized things so might see if i can swap them for 0-3. What a pain as some of them were in sale so i won't be able to swap them! Oh well.
  • my 1st baby was quite big - 9lb 7oz, followed by twins 7lb and 6lb. the bigger baby was better to handle! nicer to dress, and bath. good luck - though they could be totally wrong ! x
  • I had a big one, 9lb 7oz. I was actually measuring small because of the way he was laid, they even sent me for a growth scan at 36 weeks because they were concerned he was too small! He was my second, first was 7lb 1oz, and I agree with Bunty, the big one was easier to hold, easier to dress, felt a lot less like he was going to break and always slept better as well.
    He did wear some newborn sized outfits briefly, but the vests and sleepsuits were too small, he went straight into 0-3 month.
    Try not to worry about the birth either, I had a dreadful time delivering my little one. The big one was a breeze, I had a really quick labour (2 1/2hrs total, 10mins pushing) with just gas and air and was home with him 4 hours later.
    Good luck
    xx
  • Hi my consultant estimated the weight of my 1st son as average and about 7 lbs 2 days before he was born weighing 9lbs 8 oz. My 2nd son was 10lbs 3 1/2 oz and then my daughter 9lbs 2 oz. We had newborn clothes which only lasted a few weeks although I have breastfed all of mine and they have all been slow to gain weight so lasted in the clothes longer than they would have.
    Another thing to consider with large and long babies is where they will sleep - we never bothered with a moses basket as it wouldn't have been worth it - we had a rocker crib and they had all out grown that between 3-4 months old. xx
  • Thanks so much for the help! I had another scan yesterday and he was still measuring large, but on the head (BPD was outside of 97th centile, head circumference was about 90%) and abdominal circumference (also around 90%) but femur length was bang on average so he doesn't seem to be long, just chubby and with a big head!! Now I'm being monitored as amniotic fluid was low. Blimey, nothing's ever straight forward is it?!
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see how big he is when he gets here!
    thanks for the advice though. I'm going to exchange some vests which I've got in newborn for 0-3 size and a pack of sleepsuits, other than that I've only got a couple of newborn items which were in sale and I can't swap, but not much.
  • i was sent for growth scans, and the told me i was just a few days over for the size so they werent going to bother! so i went ahead and bought some newborn stuff... so when he came out 9lb 13oz, he didnt look his weight at all he was just a tiny wee boy but long! so the newborn clothes fitted him about a week, and he was in his moses basket maybe 3-4weeks!!
    im worried this time around as people tell you that 2nd babies are bigger, but i have a feeling this one wont be as big!!