Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Induction vs Caesarean

Also in Pregnancy

hi Ladies
I'm just after a bit of advice please.

I'm 37 weeks and since about 30 weeks, my fundal height has been measuring 3 weeks ahead. This was confimed at a scan at 34 weeks and they said it was baby measuring large rather than excess fluid etc. I have had a GTT and don't have diabetes and am genuinly very healthy and baby seems it too. It seems baby is just a chunky monkey like his father who weighed 9lb 11 at birth, I weighed 6lb 4
I have another growth scan on Monday to check babies progress but fundal height is still 3 weeks ahead so it's been pretty steady.

me and DH are meeting with the consultant on Tuesday to discus next steps obviously if the scan confirms i'm still measuring ahead. At 34 weeks they estimated 9lb 4 (due date weight).
We want to be as prepared as we can so when we see him we can obviously be a part of the decision making, this will most probably be the last time we see him before birth.

Whilst we can't second guess what he is going to say, me and DH are both quite against a caesarean for personal reasons really. I don't want to have a major operation and have to recover whislt looking after our first child. Obviously emergencies are emergencies but would rather not plan if I can help it.

People have said that most consultants will favour a caesarean at perhaps due date so if the baby doesn't come naturally then, they will do a caesarean at 40 weeks so I don't go over.

Do you think we will have the opportunity to insist or demand an induction when baby is more manageable i.e 38 weeks? If they said baby will be 9.5lb and I won't be able to give birth, why can't they induce at 38 weeks where baby will be around 8.5, so a little easier and I can have the natural birth I want, albeit with a help to get me started.

I just wanted to know if this was a possibility? If 37 weeks is considered safe and term, why couldnt' they plan at 38 weeks? Has anyone had any experience of this with a consultant and managed to persuade them towards an induction?

Obviously we are second guessing what the consultant will say and could be pleasantly surprised but we just want to be a bit more prepared really!

Thanks for all your help
Em
36+6 (37 in 2hours lol!)
xxx

Replies

• My baby measured large all the way through confirmed with scans - it does vary hospital to hospital as I went 14 days over my due date - ended up being induced and having a sec when he got stuck!

I think you'll find unless mother/baby is at risk they don't like to bring you on early.

it took 48hours of being induced when I was over before they got things going properly - I would guess - and this 50% guess and 50% I know! - that the earlier you are if your not ready for labour you would be paving the way for a c sec any how - I think its after 72 hours of being induced they tend to c sec you any how - mine took so long as my cervix wasn't ready x
  • Thanks for replying hon, thats really helpful.
    xxx
  • I'm in the same situation although I am going to meet a consultant today aat 1.30pm to discuss induction this week (38w+)
    I'll come back and let u know what they've said.x