Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

SO SCARED!!!!!!

2»

Replies

• Options
    Hi.. hello-mumma.. How many weeks are you. Im a midwife and dont tend to start discussing the labour and birth until the third trimester. So later in the pregnancy around 32 weeks. However, the pregnancy classes are really good, as they often show you videos of women giving birth and having a CS. When I discuss the labour and birth to women, I like to use a doll as I go through the entire process from when the contractions begin to the time of birth. So I try to help women understand what is happeing to their body during these times and what their baby is doing. There are so many fantastic postions for labour which help with the pain. Getting your hubby to massage you is great as many women often have alot of back pain. Standing and walking around is good, as it helps brignt eh baby's head down into the pelvis, thus increasing the pace of the birth. Also, try getting into the shower and use heat packs, they are also very usefull. Make sure you drink lts of water as you will get very dry in the mouth and throat. Go to the hospital when in labour in a postive mindframe, forgetting the pain and remembering that at the end you will have a beautiful little baby. I wont lie, yes the pain is quite bad, this speaking from expereince of other women as Im only pregnant with my first now. But like I said try to do all those things and it will help, trust me. Also, the gas is very good. Many women use just the gas and they are fine. Pethidine, unfortunately has harmful afects towards the baby and often wipes the women out, leaving them dopy and drugged. It can aslo knock off your contractions, that is slow down your labour. It does ease the pain or take the edge of it, but the other methods are far better. An epedirual does obviously take the pain away, but thats not the best option unless absolutely necessary. Often this will lead to you having to have a cs due to the baby getting unhappy, or you may not be able push, so this could lead to having forceps or a vacuum. I dont mean to scare you. I just want to be honest with you. Try other methods before pharmacutical ones. Then if need be have the gas. Then go on to peth and an epi, as in the long run it would be much better for both you and the baby to not use these too. But hey if you need them and want them go for it, they are perfectively safe and do help with pain, but notthe best option.
  • Options
    Ohh and hello-mumma. Dont be scared. Be happy that the labour means the baby is coming. Its very exciting and yeh very different. Every woman and baby are different so only you will know whats best for you and what works and helps. But always be positive and up for ideas and things that the midwives suggest. I feel every bit of pain when I am with women in labour and birth but then I also felel every bit of joy when the are holding and breastfeeding their babies. It will be a big day, but also a great day. Be intuned with your body, and dont ever be afraid to ask for pain releif as some women are. Good luck.
  • Options
    hi . i know it can be daunting your first time being in labour, i remember my first baby and labour. i was more excited than scared , not knowing what will happen. i was always facinated by the whole labour and birth thing.. i read plenty of books, magazines and spoke to plenty of people who i knew had babies already.
    don't be affraid of asking lots of questions to your midwife thats what she is there for. and get onto some parent craft classes that inform you all about labour and birth and the choices in volved.
    i am on my 5th baby .so it can't be that bad. all of mine have been so different, but so satisfying when you eventually have your baby in your arms, it is all so worth it. don't listen to any horror birth stories as every thing and one are so different. listen to your body it is the best friend you can have during labour and trust your own instincts, it may come quite natural to you. and don't be affraid to ask for pain relief. be informed as what is available to you and visit your local maternity unit to have a look around, it may out your mind to rest if you see where you will be having your baby. just think of each contraction as a step closer to seeing your beautiful baby and keep this in mind. i am 28 weeks and have already thought about and written my birth plan, discuss it with your midwife next time you see her. good luck to you. xx