Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Ups and downs of maternity leave

i left 6 weeks before my due date & then went almost 2 weeks over, so i had a long slog at home on my own (as hubby works away). i did baking, made large meals & froze into smaller portions for when baby comes (you won't want to cook). Read lots of books, watched all my favourite films again. had long lie ins (you defo won't get them any more). went for walks, went window shopping, painted my nails, took long showers, & soaked in the bath with bubbles etc. did some light gardening/watering. Did sewing that was well overdue (hemming, darning etc). Listened to music & danced around. logged on. used my birthing ball to exercise. went swimming. went out for lunch, went to tea rooms for cream teas!. I had worked full time for 20 years so well & truly ready for some time off. Enjoy the "me" time you have left.X

Replies

• Options
    Morning all, I've been on maternity leave for a week and a half now (am 36+4) and am experiencing a whole rollercoster of emotions - I was rushing around in the first few days getting so excited about packing hospital bags, washing baby clothes and sheets and also enjoying catching up on films and TV programmes I hadnt got round to watching. Now, 10 days in, I find I'm up one minute and feeling quite down and frustrated the next playing the waiting game - which I know could be another 5-6 weeks yet if I go overdue Its a long day at home to fill when you've been used to going into work full time every day for 10 years. I'm so looking forward to being a first time mum and dont want to moan but just wondered how everyone else was coping with the final run-in and whether people had any tips on how to fill this time and stay happy and positive?
  • Options
    Hi,
    My advice is to just take it easy cos you won't be able to when the baby arrives!!!!!!! My little boy is 5 months old and I wish I had rested more when on maternity leave.
    Do all the things you want to do now because you won't get the chance soon.
    hope that helps, good luck x
  • Options
    Yeah, get loads of sleep while you can and just enjoy being off work! I know that when you're heavily pregnant it is a chore getting up and going out and about but try to take advantage of any nice weather! Good luck x