Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Im sooo scared of going into labour

Hi, Im 32 weeks pregnant with my first baby and im really scared o going into labour. Is it as bad as im being told? or am i just being really paranoid? I dont want to have an epidural as im hoping to get through with only gas and air. Please can any one give me some kind of advice or tell me if there is n e thing that can help the labour run smoothly. :\? :\? :\?

Replies

• Hi Elle

Can't really advise as this is my 1st too. I'm 35 weeks gone and just as scared. All I can say is that everyone I have spoken to has said to try and stay relaxed and as calm a possible and be open and flexible about what you feel you need.

Went to an antenatal meeting about 2 weeks ago and chatted with a couple of different midwives and mums about my worries and came home feeling really positive. Do you have any meetings booked?

Still feeling so now although I think everyone has little niggling worries.

Sab x
  • I would say DON'T WORRY! I can't tell you it won't hurt... but it is a totally different pain to when you cut yourself or break a bone.. I was the kind of girl who'd take co-codomol for the slightest headache! then suddenly coped with labour, I totally focused and it all came naturally.

Don't think too much about the pain relief, just start at the gas&air and see how you go...don't think too far ahead. its when births are too planned with detailed birth plans that things feel like they've gone 'wrong'. Have you been for a hospital visit? even if you don't go to the parentcraft classes you can ask for a tour yourself. just ask your midwife before it gets to close. good luck xxxx

[Modified by: wenders on May 16, 2007 12:19 PM]
  • sab.. how did you get a paragraph inbetween????
  • I think that when you go into labour, you have a complete sense of calm, because you know you are going to be meeting your baby. I have had an emergency c-section, and a natural birth, and you do forget the pain (if we didn't I can tell you no woman would be having more than 1)! Yes thay can be somewhat painful, but nothing worth while ever comes easy!!! And they are all definately worth it!!!
  • hi. i have found that knowing as much as you possibly can about labour and birth really helped me. by going to classes or reading books. but don't listen to anyones bad experiences as all births are very different. bless you. it will all be ok. i remember feeling apprehensive about my first but also very excited and now i am on my 5th baby due in 5 weeks . good luck.xx
  • i am as well been getting scans done for the last 3 weeks every week coz she was abit big for the weeks i am, had one done to day and she is 8lb 12oz and i still have 10 days till my due date, she is gonna be huge and she is also long but her dad is 6 foot 5 image so no wounder lol then the midwife says oh just try with gas and air and see how u go i was like no way hehe
  • Hi Elle. I'm pregnant with my first so I can't offer any first-hand advice but there are things you can do to help prepare your body for birth. Drinking raspberry leaf tea (after 32 weeks) is said to help tone the uterus and make contractions more effective but check carefully on the doseage as the strength diifers. Kneeling on all fours for at least 10 mins a day can help get the baby in the best position for birth. Pelvic floor exercises will help you to push and ease recovery post-birth. Perineal massage (after 32 weeks) will help to avoid tearing.
    I know they might not all work but at least you will be taking a proactive approach which should help you to feel more in control of the situation.

Good luck x