Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A birth of 2 parts, part 2...

This is where it gets really gorey!

After delivery I walked over to the bed so the mw could check me for tears. Because I'd followed all their instructions we all thought I might just need a couple of stitches which could be done while I lied on the bed.
Tear was a little more substantial than first thought (2nd degree) so I was put in stirrups & given local anesthetic for stitching.
After stitching complete it was then decided that I had a 3rd degree tear, meanwhile I had an allergic reaction to the anesthetic so one side had swollen more than the other, I also had a blood clot which was causing some concern.
Doctor was called & I was given more local anesthetic injections but they didn't work & I could still feel what he was doing.
It was decided that I should have an epidural so all the stitching could be removed & re-sewn.
It took two attempts to get the epidural in my spine, I was then attached to an IV drip but they went straight through a vein & inflated my lower arm with saline solution.
Doctor took an hour to repair the damage.
Had a blood test cos I'd lost a lot of blood, it seems that I had a "false high" reading and should have received a transfusion.

I'm home now but I'm an interesting shade of Magnolia & walking upstairs is the equivilant of running a marathon. I'm on Voltarol, anti-biotics & super-strength iron tablets.
I know I'll heal but after such a peaceful & smooth birth I'm so cross that it all turned into a nightmare.
I can't sit up to feed cos my bits still hurt too much so I'm pretty much spending my time shuffling between the sofa & bed.

Anyway, thats it. I hope I haven't scared the crap out of people & would love to hear if anyone had a similar experience & could offer any advice.

Thanks for letting me off-load x

Replies

• Options
    Firstly congratulations and Ouch!! I had a 3rd degree tear with my second but thankfully was sown up correctly first time round. I took arnica tablets to help with the bruising, available from boots, any pharmacist and health food shops. The only other advice is try sitting on a rubber ring and take things easy!
    Sam xx
  • Options
    Congratulations!

What an ordeal to have to endure after such a good labour - though am sure your car journey was horrendous at the time!

As Sam says, arnica is great...I also remember taking a jug of water with me when I went for a pee so I could pour the water as I went so it wouldn't sting my bits.

C.x
  • Options
    hi,
    ouch pixie, i thought you had got off lightly having a short labour but evidently not.
    Such a shame too as you had a pretty good labour and birth!
    The others are right sitting on a rubber ring is about as comfy as you can get sitting up, there should be plenty about due to the horrendous summer we are having.
    Another thing you can do to relieve pain in your stitched area (sounds gross but works honest lol) apply natural yoghurt where you have had stitches. I had an episiotomy with my second baby and my mum told me to put natural youghurt on it so i didnt get thrush. i was like..hmm ok a bit gross but i gave it a try. i didnt get thrush but i also found it took the stinging out of it like it does with sunburn. also sit in the bath to pee or pour warm water down yourself at the same time as peeing.
    hope you are feeling less sore soon.
    Toni x
  • Options
    Congrats Pixie, sorry to hear you are suffering now though!! Maybe it was volunteer day when they were trying to stitch you up! Not surprised you are a bit mad about it. Concentrate on getting better and your wonderful new little baby. xx
  • Options
    Well first of all congratulations on the birth of Spencer!
    Part one all sounded terribly lovely (where are you by the way, I am in Glos evading floods, what hospital did you have him in?!) but part 2 a bit of a nightmare. Such a shame it ended like that but I really hope it hasn't put too much of a dampner on the joys of motherhood for you! Hope you are feeling better now....!
    Tracey
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Pixie

Good to hear from u, even though it sounds like u had a right nightmare after the birth of little Spencer.
    I had a similar experience in that i had i really good birth but after had to have the placenta removed manullay in theatre and i lost a lot of blood too and wasnt mobile for a few hours and just wanted to cuddle my LO.Had two second degree tears also but Im recovering now though quicker than i thought. My Full birth story is on here if u want to read it anyway. Sorry to hear u had a time of it afterwards... especially as u had a long enough wait like me in the first place! Anyway, take care and will speak to u when ur on next
    Hannah xx
  • Options
    congratulations pixie, sorry to here it was a rough ride in the end, hope you feel better soon x