Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

engagement &cervix open how long till labour starts???

hi all just wondered if anyone has any advice?i was in hospital thursday as some of you know to have cervical sutures/stitches removed and my consultant told me that my cervix was open after he removed it and that baby will most probably be here sooner rather than later. Mw also said that babys head is 3/5 engaged.I'm now home and am just wondering if anyone has any idea is labour could be soon?im not sure bout the engaged thing does it mean there are 2 more 5ths to engage??ud think id know all this as i already have 1 little girl but im still quite clueless!lolthanx any1 hanna xxx
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev146pr___.png

Replies

• hi i dont know if its different as you had cervical stitches, but with my first baby i had a check up just before i was due and was told my cervix was 2cm dilated (altho i hadnt felt any pain or anything) and i still needed to be induced at 10days late so for me, being dilated (or cervix open) didnt really mean anything.

i was told that for second (or more) babys it didnt matter if head wasnt fully engaged as they often just fully engage during labour then, so even altho u are only 3/5 engaged you could still go into labour (but with your first i think it gets ready before labour starts).

hope that helps sorry, but maybe someone else whos had cervical stitches could answer better.

hope all goes well for you,im youre only a couple days behind me!! so im in the same "waiting" stage as you x

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

• i dont think it really matters if your babys head is engaged or if the cervix is open, as my baby was 2/5 engaged from about 34 weeks and she didnt fully engage up untill a few hours before i had her, also my cervix was closed and was dilating much at the beginning but within a 4-5 hours i was 10cm dilated. sorry if this wasnt what you wanted to hear, hope you dont have to wait much longer and i hope u have a fab labour x
  • thanx for your replies ladies,i was under the impression that she would soon be here as when my consultant had removed the suture he looked at me and said "how many weeks r u?" n i said y is she coming out??!! n he said well ur cervix is open now so i dnt think itl b long n then the midwife added "we may see u back here tonight".O well im sure she'll come when shes ready,i went 5 days over with my daughter n she was almost 9lb so dnt really fancy goin overdue again as this one is estimated to be at least 9lb4oz at 40 wks! xx
  • thanx caz,im hoping sooner but kinda gettin it in my head that i'll go over now!!may brave it n try sex c if that gets her moving!!lol x
  • hi hun,tried sex last nite n had pains 10 mins later for hrs,cdnt sleep n they were quite painful,even went the loo bout 3 times!finally managed 2 get 2 sleep about 4.30 n then nothing since!!typical,if they were just braxton hicks then im not avin sex again!!lol c my midwife at 2.15 so gonna ask her if she can check just so i know if anythings goin on up there!need some glimmer of hope,sick of every1 txtin 2 c if shes arrived!! xxx
  • hia fairy fluff,saw mw and she wdnt do an internal or anythin!just to top it all off she told me that although babys heads engaged her back is on my right hand side n it should b at the front so i need 2 go on all 4z to try get her to turn the right way or i could b in for a long labour!great!was only 4 hrs with my daughter so thought id av it easy again!well as easy as labour can be lol.I darent do it again now haha,when i went to the loo i felt so much pressure i honestly thought it was the beginning of something!felt the pain all in my lower back n bump like period pain n it even made me feel bit sick n then nothing since!i've bought a pineapple as midwife said theres somethin in fresh pineapple that rippens the cervix!doubt itl do much tho!mw said babys already bout 8lb which my consultant said at last scan too so come on get out!!!!!!!!!sorry 4 moanin so much just dnt wanna go overdue again! x
  • im still here!with bump!suppose i'd better face facts that shes comfy in there!good to hear bout ur labour only bein 5 hrs with back to back baby thats reassuring.how u feeling? xxx
  • haha!my little girl stopped avin naps bout that age too,she still needs 1 most days really but dosen't wanna miss out on anything!dnt tell me off i know ur not really meant 2 use it anymore but i even tried castor oil last nite n it did bugger all!didnt even give me the poops!takin lo to the park in an hr so will do load of walkin round the lake!fingers crossed.Soz 2 hear bout ur sickness it must b awful,luckily i've never suffered with sickness,im a real wimp when it comes to throwing up! xx