Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Membrane Sweep

Hey, im 6 days over and booked in to have a sweep tomorrow, im really nervous as i don't know what to expect, ive never had anyone like docs etc go down there, and its going to be really weird....
Does it hurt? how long does it take?
Any info on these or if u 've had one what was it like??

cheers xxx

Replies

• Hiya

Yes I have 2 done with my 2nd and 4th child.

It is a bit painful but not at all embarrassing. Just remember the midwife or doc performing it do this day in day out. Anyway, in few days you are going to have all and sundry looking up your woowoo so now is not the time to be embarrassed!!!!!!!!

Just relax and take deep breaths. They insert their fingers quite deep and just sweep around your waters. It will usually make you bleed a little and cause a show if you have not had one already that is. A friend of mine had it done and her waters broke while the mw was up there!!! Her labour started and 2 hours later her baby was there. Her hubby did not even get there in time!!! With mine I had it done and labour started 3 days later.

Just remember that it is another step closer to holding your baby. IF though you don't want it done you can say NO. Its worth a try as I have been induced with one of my sons and that is no picnic at all. Best to go into natural labour.

good luck!!!!!!!!! ;\)
  • thanks, i am going to have it done, like u say its worth a try and the sooner ill be holding my baby the better, i really dont want to get induced lol
    My boyfriends coming with me tomorrow, he comes to pretty much all my appointments image
    Thanks for the advice anyway image
  • hi. i had one done friday. i was one day over.since i've been pregnant i've lost all shame. you just do what needs to be done. it doesn't hurt. it's just a bit uncomfortable. the mid wife/ doctor should put you at ease first and explain every thing and keep you relaxed. it didn't work for me but i was no where near ready. if there's no progress by friday i'm going to have another one done. hopefully things would have moved on a bit by then and i'll get a result. it normally takes effect within 48 hours. hope it works for you. you'll be fine. good luck......
  • Before I had my baby (3 weeks ago) I had never had any kind of internal exam. I didn't have a sweep but I went into the labour ward having had contractions and the midwife was really gentle when giving me my first internal exam, as I was scared! After that I had about a million internals to see how far gone I was - there's no escaping them and they really aren't that bad - especially when you've got really painful contractions to contend with - it's like a walk in the park! Good luck x
  • morning all..
    really interesting reading your posts..
    can i ask why induction isnt very nice... how do they do that?..
    xx
    thanks
  • Hello Pregnant Lady.....

Sorry if I scared you saying induction is no picnic.....it wasn't in my experience but obviosly we are all different and I know for some its fine.

I was induced 3 weeks early with my 2nd child for a variety of reasons. I was not ready to give birth so it meant all the gel pessaries (they insert them up your woowoo) did not work. They broke my waters and started me on high dose oxtocin (a drip that imitates labour). within one hour I had gone from 0 to 60!!! No pain to full on pain. In natural labour this should all happen over a matter of hours and hours so your body gets use to each stage. I therefore opted for an epidural and after that it was a breeze.

So there you go...nothing to worry about and at end of day my son was born healthy and fine and I was up and about in hour after birth so not bad at all. If you need to be induced then just take it as it happens and you may not have my experience.

Don't worry as giving birth is what we were made for and one way or another you will soon have your baby.

Good Luck and ask anything else worrying you as I have had 4 all quite different ranging from breech vaginal delivery that took 36 hours, the one I just described, a natural labour of 15 hours and then a 2 hour labour delivering a whooping 9lb 11oz!!!!!!!!

Diane x
  • morning all..
    really interesting reading your posts..
    can i ask why induction isnt very nice... how do they do that?..
    xx
    thanks

Most people you speak to who has had an induction, would rather not have had one me included. The insertion of the pessary is uncomfortable - they first have to find the neck of the cervix & then once found, insert the pessary - mind didn't work first time, just gave me period type pains, so 12 hours later they tried again. Eventually this led to a slight dilation, so then they break your waters (with a plastic stick thing) again this is pretty uncomfortable & usually leads to a fast labour, if not (like me) they put you on the drip which accelerates the labour. So all in all its not that natural, but it does get your baby born, so can only be a good thing. X
  • thanks to you both for clarifying this for me...
    im just at the point where im worrying about everything.. and so fed up with being pregnant now...

Dee Dee, I really appreciate your kind words about asking you advice on labour... your obviously the best person to ask considering your experiences, bless your heart!..
    If i need anything some help ill certainly ask, thank you very much x
    I will ask though if you dont mind... how much weight you've put on with your pregnancies?... reason i ask is that ive put on a massive 4 stone so far and have over two weeks to go... This is depressing me so much...

thanks again both
    x
  • hey all, well i had my sweep yesterday and its was fine, i dont know why i was worried!!!The midwife talked me thru everything she was doing, it didnt hurt and wasnt painful but did feel a bit uncomfortable, like period pains in a way, nothing has happened yet, i dont have much hope that its going to work, all of yesterday i had slight backache on and off but after a good night sleep its all gone!!!
    I have been given a date of going in to be induce now if nothing happens!!! I think this little one is going to wait till the very last minute to come out lol.
    Pregnant lady - dont worry bout how much weight you put on, cuz dont forget alot of it is baby and water, im sure if after the baby's born you will loose alot of it just running around after a baby and be careful what u eat. You'll be fine & its all for a good reason!
  • I'm 39 weeks today and due to probably have the sweep on 8th Jan. I'm hoping that my labour will start before then. Am a little scared but i had a little show of water around a week and a half ago. No dilation which i found odd. Does this mean the sweep will probably work on me?