Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

anyone want a home birth

i had a home birth and hopefully having another i found it much better than going to hospital

Replies

• Options
    Hello, I had a home birth with my second babe, and am pregnant with my third. I would love another home birth. I think I am a bit biased though. My first labour was a long one in an under staffed hospital. The second was barely an hour in length from first contraction to holding my baby. Then I was able to climb into bed with my husband daughter and new baby for pizza and a movie. How pampered image I would definately recommend home births if you feel comfortable with the idea.
  • Options
    Hi I had a home birth for my first. Fantastic! We had a dark room with a pool, candles and essential oils. The best way to give birth!
  • Options
    I had a home birth with my 1st babyand really recommend it too!!!
  • Options
    have you seen all the stick i got in the due october site.
    it is headed 'natural is best' i really didnt mean it to come out the way it did but nevermind its all blown over now i think.
    i noticed you said your baby was born early feb my last one is a feb baby he is 17 months old now 14th valentines day of all days lol!!
  • Options
    i had a home birth, it was fantastic, definatly recommend it.xx
  • Options
    michelle605, i just had a quick look at all the stick u got.xx
    i kinda c where peeps got the wrong end of the stick, i know wat u mean about trying to encourage people and that labour aint always as scarey as we mums spend 9m thinking it is. xx
    hope it has blown over and people now understand where u were coming from. xx
  • Options
    Hi everyone

I'm 32 weeks with my first and hoping on a home birth.

I read all the other post about natural is best but didn't have the energy to get involved (have a rotten cold at the mo!)

I have decided for a home birth as I have had a very healthy easy pregnancy, My husband has a little phobia of all things clinical and think a home birth would be much more relaxed.
    I'm not niave to the fact that is gonna bloody hurt, as i've been my sisters birthing partner twice. But I feel confident enough to give it ago. I don't want to have epidurals and loads of drugs (but I can see how some people do!) I truly believe it has a lot to do with personality and fear - the more fearful you are the more something hurts!
    I also understand that I may have to be transferred to hosptial, but at least I would have given it a go, and I only live 5 minutes from the hospital.
    I have ordered my tens machine and I'm listening to self hypnosis tapes.
    The last thing I want is a c-section, and I certainly wouldn't call myself and "earth mother" but I would like to try and do this as naturally as possible and without being in a hospital.
    I can understand where the others are coming from and each to their own but I have to say I am sick and tired of people telling me how stupid I'm being (people I know - and not on this forum - before I upset anyone!!). I've had people tell me that I'm putting the baby at risk and I'll never forgive myself is something goes wrong! Also that I'm being niave to the pain and I will need more drugs!!
    I have never had to deal with so many peoples opinions before - I'll be glad when I've bloody had this baby!

Any way that's my rant over, hope you ladies are all well and I'm now being taken out to lunch with a friend to stuff my face!!
    xxx
  • Options
    I know what you mean Claire.

I have opted for a hospital birth but really wanted a home birth (more so now after reading other peoples experiences), but I moved to a new area recently which is under another health authority. If I had opted for a home birth then I would have had to change my midwives and my emergency transfer hospital is not one that I have much faith in.
    My pregnancy has been easy so far and I am not naive about the pain, although have never experienced it, but I have every faith in myself in being able to give birth. If there are complications and I need assistance then that is fine also, as long as I get a healthy baby at the end of it. But it does get frustrating when people (my mum is the worst, although means well), go on about how hard it is and that you will need pain relief so take everything they throw at you. I know they are being helpful, but their experience is theirs and yours maybe totally different.
    Im also getting really frustrated about people who keep commenting on my size and saying what a big baby Im going to be having and how that may cause problems etc etc. My midwife says I am normal and hasn't expressed any concerns about the size of me or my baby. Im really proud of my bump and excited about being pregnant, but it does sometimes feel overwhelming when you have everyone throwing their opinions at you...you suddenly feel like public property x
  • Options
    Hi Becs

I know what you mean about the size thing as well!! People keep saying to me "god you're huge, you'll never go full term!" I even had a lady tell me this morning that her sister in law had her baby on Monday and had to have forceps after being in labour for 3 days, it was all due to her being short (5ft - the same as me) and her age (32, first child - the same as me!) and apparantly I'm even bigger than she was so I'll NEVER be able to have it naturally!! This woman hasn't even got kids so what the hell does she know!!!

aaaarrgghh some people.....
  • Options
    hi,
    i had a home birth 4 weeks ago with my third. i had the first 2 in hospital and definatley prefered the home birth.
    It was just so relaxed and felt completely normal and natural and i would definatley reccomend it to anyone.
    What made my home birth more special to me is that the midwife came a few minutes too late and my lovley oh delivered our baby all by him self and luckily managed to free the cord from round his neck, it was a real bonding experience for us both lol.
    I kinda get what you mean about natural birth, as i had no pain relief at all accept my tens machine and i have never felt so well after giving birth. but with my first 2 kids i had everything the hospital could give me as i just couldnt cope with the pain so i see where the others were coming from too, every person and every birth is totally different and no one should feel bad for needing that extra pain relief or that bit of assistance at the end of the day all that really matters is that mum and baby are well.
    anyway back on the subjuct of home births, i thought it was great and if anyones thinking about it and has had a healthy pregnancy then go for it. its certainly an experience. If i was having another i would definatley try for another home birth only this time with a midwife there lol.
    Toni x

[Modified by: Toni001 on July 26, 2007 03:36 PM]
  • Options
    Hi blondieclaire

try the NCT website as I believe they do really reasonable birthing pools for the home.

I would have like to have got one, but unless I clear my livingroom out I haven't got space anywhere else - My hubby suggested the back garden but I don't think the neighbours would appreciate that!!

He said we could invite them round and get the bbq going and make it a party.............odd man!!

Good luck with finding one, and the home birth
  • Options
    My ideal plan was home birth, no drugs apart from maybe some gas and air, etc...... then I found out I was expecting triplets!

I'm not afraid of the pain - at the end of the day, they're in there and they have to come out somehow. The one thing I really didn't want was an epidural, simply because I'm really scared!

Now though, it looks as though it's all going to be taken out of my hands. Whilst I wanted a natural home birth, I wasn't of the mind where I was being really short sighted about it - I was willing to give it a go but then do whatever was needed in order to make sure my baby was safe. Now though it looks like I'm going to have to have an epidural at least, even if I try to birth naturally.

My babies are all in seperate sacs, so the risk of the cords getting tangled is minimal, which means that natural birth could be a possibility, however, they won;t be able to tell how the second is lying until after the first has been born, and then the same with the third - there's a risk that one could get stuck in a transverse position up under my ribs and need to be pulled out, which is apparently excrutiating (which is why they suggest epidural).

Anyway, I'm going to try to birth at least the first naturally, then see how things go - I gave up on the idea of being at home as soon as I heard there was more than one, now I'm concentrating on preparing myself for hvaing the epidural and the possibility of not even having a natural birth!
  • Options
    I would love to be brave enough to have a home birth, but I'm wanting an epidural so I'm afriad I'll be going in hospital.
  • Options
    Hi ladies, my first was born in hospital delivered by forceps & I had an epidural. The whole experience was awful. I felt so cheated and I was numb from it I didn't know when to push, but having a 21 & a half hour labour was a killer. My poor body just shut down afterwards I couldn't even breastfeed image
    My second was quicker - 7 hours delivered in hospital with gas & air. Had pethadine which really didn't help. It just left me feeling really shitty.
    My third I was supposed to have at hospital in the birthing pool - We never made it. Hubby delivered him at home with the m/w offering him words of support. Best experience ever!!
    So this time we're gonna go it all over again at home...
    Sarah xx
  • Options
    Im having a home birth, just need 2 convince o/h, I will feel alot calmer at home & more relaxed, Do u need 2 still pack a bag incase something might go wrong?
  • Options
    hi,
    sazzy i had a home birth 2 and my oh delivered our baby because the mw arrived too late. i totally agree it was the best experiance ever (i have 3 kids) i wish every birth could be like this only i wouldnt dare to attempt it again for the fear of the safety of my baby (was in too much pain to think about it at the time)
    honestly though, the home birth experiance was THE best experiance ever and if i was pregnant again i would definatley try for a home birth again. just when you think the pain is too much to bear out comes the baby (i had epidurals with my first 2) i had only a tens machine with my third and to be honest i was so relaxed and in control the pain really wasnt too bad.
    if you want a home birth more than anything maybe this idea is the best option for you.
    Good luck deciding
    Toni xx