Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Im due on 28th may and im scared daft of labour

Hey everyone im due in 3 weeks time and im so so scared of labour. My OH is being great and telling me not to panic but i cant help it .

Replies

• rrr hun dnt worry honestly its not that bad and if u cnt cope there is pain releif available.Is this ur 1st then?im due day b4 u!! hanna xxx
  • there's always gas and air.......a winner. Good luck and don't panic...this is what we're designed top do. You're probably going to be a tough cookie and don't even realise....everyone is different and I agree with Sammie above....don't listen to others tales or horror stories.......the most important thing is meeting your little one and bringing him/her into the world the safest way.
    Good luck
    xxx
  • It's not all that bad - I'm on my 5th image

[Modified by: MummyX5 on May 08, 2008 10:33 PM]

• I too was scared but you soon forget that once everything starts happening, you just naturally go with the flow.
    Also don't worry if you don't stick to your birth plan. I hardly did anything that was on mine!!
    Tips to ensure you are more comfortable:-
    I stayed as mobile as possible - even went for a walk around the hospital grounds.
    Ask if the birthing pool is free - even if it's just for a short while. I never put it on my plan but the midwife asked me if I wanted to go in it so I did. It's always made out that you need to "pre-book" but ask just in case.
    Take some juice or water as you will get ver hot. A flannel that can be wet and put on your face and to suck on is a must as your mouth & lips will get dry from all the blowing & pushing. Lipsalve is also good for your dry lips.
    I stayed upright whilst I gave birth - on the bed on my knees with the head end of the bed tipped up. I found this was easier & it helps gravity take effect when pushing.
    I wont try & pretend it's not painful, the worst pain is when the head crowns - you feel an intense burning, but I promise you it is all forgotten once that baby comes out - it's so true!
    I tore as well (hope I'm not scaring you even more...) but I held my baby whilst being stiched without a care in the world. You'll be fine. I hope everything goes ok!

ps - I also fell asleep between contractions after having pethidine and my husband said he & the midwife were laughing at me as I was also snoring!!!!
  • Aw thanks for all the replys , it really helps to get other mums advise and thouhts x
  • hi Claire I was really worried with my first and to be honest unless the unforseen happens you will be fine if it all gets to much they have so many pain relief options for you to choose, and as soon as LO is out safely you dont care about anything that happend during the labour anymore, you will be fine x
  • hi. try not to listen to all the horror birth stories people will tell you. everyone is different.
    i had my 5th baby june 3rd last year. so it can't be too bad.!!!lol.
    just take it all as it comes and keep an open mind and just think that with each contraction your baby is getting closer to being in your arms. good luck hun, take care.xxxx
  • Hi yes everyone is right. Don't listen to the horror stories. Everyone has a different labour with some easier than others. Don't worry about it. It will all be worth it in the end.
  • hi this is my second and i am due 23rd may, and have been starting to worry a bit too ( but i worry about everything in life and am a generally nervous person), but as someone else said ...its what we are meant to do, we can all handle it perfectly fine. yes it is sore but is all worth it, and as soon as you have the baby you dont care about what you just went thru. i cant actually even remember the pain, it went away as soon as baby was born 3 yrs ago. we all wouldnt have more children if it was that terrible!! just think of it as a few hours of pain and then a lifetime of happiness and love (thats how i cope when i get worried)...you know the pain is not forever. youll be absolutely fine, the midwifes are great and are weell used to people worrying, talk your worries over with her and im sure youll feel much better about ti all x

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

• Hi, I'm due on the 27th and it's my first. I used to be really really terrified too but did loads of research and found out that even women who are in a coma are able to give birth because their bodies know what to do instinctively! I just found that so amazing that I've decided if I can just let my body do what it needs to without being too tense I'm probably going to have a good experience. And, much as I hate to admit my Mum's right, she always says it can't be that bad otherwise no-one would have second, third, fourth babies!
    You'll be fine, I'm sure. Just find ways to breathe and relax your way through it.
  • I didn't listen to what anyone told me about labour & I wouldn't watch anything or read anything about it either! I thought to myself that baby would have to come out some how and I'd go with the flow!! You'll be fine - its not as bad as you think! (Good luck for the big day) xximage
  • oooh if you have your baby on that day it will share a birthday with my little sister AND kylie minougue. you'l be fine you forget all about it afterward. xxx
  • hey hun, please dont worry about the labour and birth, it REALLY isnt as bad as people make out, or as bad as u may think it is. this baby has to come out so if you feel positive and relaxed then so will the labour. i had my lo 6 months ago and i was scared shitless, but it really wasnt that bad, id do it all again right now if i could!!
    good luck and enjoy it xx
  • i went through stages of being terrified and times when i was calm whilst pregnant. it is a daunting prospect if you just think about the gory parts of it, but in actual fact it's a completely natural thing and women were designed for it! it's amazing what your body is capeable of and after you've given birth you'll feel very very proud of yourself and will have a beautiful little baby. just remember you will have your OH's support and will be looked after by the medical staff so chances are you won't come to any harm, you can have drugs for the pain if you wish, and its generally your preference if you want to be mobile, or lying down, so you can choose what you are more comfortable with! write a birth plan if you havnt already stating what pain relief you might like, if you want baby delivered onto you or cleaned up first, whether you want to be cut or just do it naturally etc, that way you will feel more in control of the situation. even if you have a long labour like i did (19hours) once its over and done with you very soon forget about it and it all seems so worth it. please don't be afraid, you'll be brilliant i'm sure! xx