Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Piles before pregnancy and after???

Hello just a random Q, any of u ladies suffer wit piles before the birth? im due in 6days and mine are really painfull, i pop them back in after toileting but im so scared wots going to happen when i give birth, and 1 else had this, got any tips, and also for those who have torn or been cut do the sergions just pop everything back into where it belongs before sewing? or do they leae u to get on with it??

Any replies wud be great thanks girls xxx

Replies

• Options
    HI
    Poor you, I remeber how uncomfy they are!! Have you got a cream from the doc or chemist? I got one and it did help. I think it's best to try not to touch them. Just try and keep the area clean and dry. I had a emer c-sec so can't say what might happen about the birth time. I would be really honest about it with your MW and see if she can help at all.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Hi
    I am a piles sufferer!! (winces with embarrasment!)

It is something that runs in the family for me. My Dad has suffered badly. I did on and off but nothing major before I had my Son 7 years ago. On the build up to birth it got worse so I was advised to use over the counter stuff and put books under the bottom end of the bed to raise it up and lots of warm baths! it did help but not enough. during Labour I had an Epidural and was forced to stay on my back. As I pushed for britain - the midwife had a piece of cloth that she held against my bum, at the time I didn't feel much nor realise what she was doing.

I did tear and was stitched up (didn't feel the tear nor the piles!). I was prescribed pain killers to take home, but at the time I didn't feel much pain down below considering!! the pain killers made me feel really dizzy and horrible so I binned them. When I felt brave enough to get a mirror and look down below to see what mess I was left with......... I nearly fell off the bed in shock!
    I had piles like never before due to all the straining! it was the size of a flippin mouse and the pain was unbearable and meant I couldn't be in the sitting position - only lying down. I got the doctor out and she just gave me a prescription for over the counter stuff again. i used that for a week with no difference! my MW came and inspected it since i was still laying in bed and couldn't believe that the doctor didn't give me something industrial strength!!! so she called the doctor and sorted it, I got something like 'proctycidal' sorry cant remember it exactly, it worked well and within a week I could sit normally again!

My MW asked about my labour and knew I had been on my back as thats what makes it worse. and no they dont 'fix' your piles whilst you are there or they would have sorted my lump - they didn't even TELL me it was there.

I have been plagued with piles ever since. I got married last year and had painful piles in the buildup to the wedding, but I was in denial and didn't have time to go to Docs so I was using suppositries, and cream and sometimes a numbing spray from Superdrug and pushing it back in when needed. Nice! Stood up all day at my wedding really was the nail on the coffin! it was so painful I couldn't consumate my marriage that night! lol

We flew to Cyprus two days later, and on holiday it just got worse, so painfull I couldn't sit in the car properly and I was so tearful it was ruining the Honeymoon. (it was the Honeymoon from HELL anyway, flat tyre no spare, power cut, got lost etc etc) all my new DH wanted to do was have sex and I just couldn't.

I ended up going to a Hospital, they took a look and immediately i was booked in for surgery to remove them as the doc could see a blot clot in the lump! he told me I would be put to sleep for it (oh the relief!) so not to eat anything the next day then come in at tea time for the surgery.

So in I went starving, in agony and petrified! I was then told I'd only have it done under local!! 'are you joking?' I thought?!
    To say I crapped myself would be an understatement! I had a needle put straight in it and it was far more painful that birth or anything in my life!!!! i screamed and cried all during the surgery.

Turned out I had FOUR blood clots in the lump and just up inside me. After I the surgery I was leaving saying my goodbyes to the docs and came over all funny with shock and a bad reaction to the local - probably shock and the fact I had nothing to eat! took me 2 hours to recover on a ward there.
    I spent the rest of the holiday too scared to poo! couldn't swim or do bugger all!!! near the end of the hols I felt up to going out properly so we ate dinner out, I got a dodgy tummy so spent the rest of the night on the toilet with my ass on fire!! trouble was I had to clean the wound and use Iodine then two different creams and re dress it after each bowel movement! I wanted to DIE!!

The moral of this story is..................................

NEVER GIVE BIRTH LAYING ON YOUR BACK!!

On all fours/upright as possible will put the least pressure on your back passage. Fact.

and dont bother wasting your time with over the counter remedies.

Go see your Doctor and ask for something very strong, you have 6 days to reduce whats there already which will help a lot. and make sure you have a tube for after the birth!

I found the stuff for you to ask for as it helped me and I had what looked like a bald rat hanging out of me lol!!

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002157.html

I almost hope I need a C sec this time!! lol

Good luck
    Emma xx

14 weeks today!!

[Modified by: Mrs Ikea on May 20, 2009 11:20 PM]

• Options
    Wow reading that i am filled with terror!! LOL! You had it way bad by the sounds of it! and ur having another baby, wot a brave woman u are! i am defo going to try and go for the hole stading up thing as i read it helps baby come out quicker not only that but i dont want my piles to get much worse, god!!! i do already have the cream from the docs but to be honist i dont find that it does a hole lot??? im guessing urs was way to big to pop back up also?! do u still suffer now? does it make u worry about this pregnancy? XXXX
  • Options
    Hi! sorry i didn't mean to frighten you! I just wanted to tell the story to show how important it is to NOT be told to stay on your back if you have piles, mind you, even if you dont! it reduces tearing too!

Since the surgery in Cyprus, I haven't had any lumps appearing! I've just had a few of days where it feels tender, I'm sure as the baby gets bigger it will put more pressure on my bits and bobs. I does make me worry this time around! I dont DO pain!! and knowing I have this problem doesn't help. I sat and told my midwife about all this at my booking in appointment - and that I suffered for years with postnatal depression including panic attacks. She wasn't really interested and brushed it off. However I also told her that I had a few cases of mild herpes (aren't I lucky!) since I met my DH, she then looked up and took an interest and said if you have it the time of birth you will have to have a C sec. hooray! so no piles probably!!

My Husband said to me after we left her office that the MW didn't give a toss about my mental wellbeing or my body getting mulilated again and causing PND but soon as Herpes were mentioned it was a case of 'okay well you can have a C sec then! seems as its for the benefit of the baby only' even my darling husband said "go, they just dont give a monkeys about the mother do they?"

So YES, I am worried!!!!! but then who isn't! there are probably girls out there much worse than me with more serious problems (like that lady on the telly last night and her twins and needing surgery before they were born! what a brave woman she was!) makes me look like a major wimp xxxx
  • Options
    Wow ur Mw sounds awful, u must of come away from that appt feeling awful!! It's a good job ur husband was there for support!!! But like u said on the plus side possiable c-sec this time!!! image

Im quite lucky in the fact that iv got a real good mw so i going to explain these concerns to her on tues, and i'll accept any advice she can give, and then hopfully find a suitable birth position, although im having to face facts that if im not going to be laying down i'll be limited with wot pain relief i can have, and i too am a huge wimp! Lol.
    I did watch that twin prog, and like u i was thinking to myself i worry so much about such minor things compared to wot these people are going through, i try to keep telling myself that, but i still have the fear in the back of my mind!!!

I think i will just demand someone do something to help the piles before i leave the hosp, so things hopfully dont go to long without treatment like wot unfortunatly happend with u. Did u get counciling before with ur depression after birth? i hope it doesnt happen for u this time image
    take care
    XXXX :\)
  • Options
    You can have a mobile epidural and still move about aparently, which is what I intend on asking for this time. I had a normal one last time and it was sheer bliss!! although I couldnt get up anyway as i had a heart monitor strapped round my belly anyway. But with a mobile epi they dont give you a catheter as you should still b able to control your bowels yourself. gas and air did nothing for me and I didn't like the sound of pethidene as I dont like the spaced out feeling or thought it might make me sick.

Yes my MW was 'too busy' and on autopilot to be honest, I'm hoping my next appointment in a couple of weeks is better, if not i'll be kicking her to the curb lol!

No I didn't get counselling after the birth, I did ask and was put on a waiting list................................... 5 months passed before someone contacted me!! what a waste of space. By that time I had started to get myself together!! I refused anti-depressants as the I read the side effects........... and they caused the same as the feelings I was already having! so I was put on Beta Blockers and they helped my anxiety and really sorted out my migraines too. Bonus!!

Please dont let my experiences put you off as lots of women are fine! plus this time I feel happier in myself that I can cope and I have a loving husband this time!!

I wish you the very best of luck!! and remember.............. mobile epidural..................... not on your back!!!...................... don't let the MW's bully you into doing whats best for them.......... its YOUR body and baby!!

just think any day now your beautiful baby will be coming to meet you!! I'm so excited for you!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Thanks u, despite initialy being a bit scared i think im now ready to go for it and get this baby out,lol. just wish baby was ready to come!!!
    Thanks for ur good luck wishes, hope he/she will be here by this time next week, i'll post me birth story in pregnancy forum when i can image

Hope the rest of ur preg experiance is good also, and thanks for all ur tips and advice XXXX
  • Options
    Hi lilly, well done for posting, as you can imagine I've read this with interest!! Just wanted to say I've checked already and unfortunately they don't do the mobile epidural at our hospital, but my physio said to give birth in the left lateral position (lying on left side with leg propped open by hubby/pillows, the mw's can get to all they need to) if I end up having an epi (she was saying it more about how to cope with the SPD but I'd also mentioned my piles). x