Forum home› Pregnancy› Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Steroid injections, does this mean i'm nearing the end?

ive had the steroids too they think i wont last much longerim only 34 weeks ,

Replies

• Options
    Had a brief stay in hospital this week, and was given steroid injections to mature my babies lungs as i'v had a lot of pain and can't walk properly. Do the injections that everything may go quicker now? I'm not actually due til 9th june, but doctors say the baby is 2weeks bigger. i'll be seeing a physio this week, but since the baby is so big they don't think i'll have much longer to wait. Is there any way of moving things along?
  • Options
    Its good you have had the steroids it makes everything so much easier when the babe is born. I had mine at 32 weeks and then went into early labour naturally at 34+5 and the boys were born at 35 weeks exactly. I was told that having the steroids meant the boys were much healthier and stronger.

ps if your baby is born at 35 weeks ask about multivitamins and iron-my boys missed out on being prescribed this as they only prescribe for babes born b4 35 weeks but have now found out they are anemic and have been put on iron and multivits- some docs were surprised they werent already

Pps Abidec the leading multivit has peanut oil in it- so if there is a history of ezema hayfever or peanut allery ask to be put on another one

xx
  • Options
    Thanx guys, things are definitely moving along, i can feel everything pushing down, and it's really uncomfortable. Also, by boobs were rock hard yesturday and i increased 1 cup size since having the injections, they're leaking too. I look like i've had a boob job they're so big now. Well i'm supposed to be 35+1 today, but they've said the baby is showing 37 + so i guess i won't have to long to go now. I had a really hot curry last night, and a warm bath, and this morning my bump is lower down.
  • Options
    Hi to both, I had steroid injections at 33 weeks with my second due to going into early labour, they managed to stop the labour and my daughter came at 36+4 so was still a little early I just found with the steroids it was better to be safe. My baby was fine when she was born a bit bigger than thought but ok even though she kept trying to come early. Good luck xx
  • Options
    i'm glad to hear she was ok, it's been plaguing me coz my baby was measuring 2 weeks bigger b4 i had the injections, so i guess now it'll be bigger agin. I have my 36 week scan next wednesday with my consultant, so i'm gonna ask him for an estimated weight. On the up side though, they say bigger babies are easier to push out.
  • Options
    I was told that too, something to do with extra pressure from them where they are bigger. Its good that they are giving you an extra scan and keeping an eye on you. My aim was to just get to 37 weeks and she came 3 days before that. xx
  • Options
    I'll be 36 weeks on saturday, right now even though i'm in loads of pain i'm hoping the baby will stay put for at least another week. But, knowing the luck i've had lately it'll probably be out before then. (let's hope not).
  • Options
    I hope you hang on til 37 weeks, at least you can see the end is near. I had a really good birth with my second but because she was before 37 weeks i had to be attatched to the moniter throughout so could not be as active as wanted. I hope you hang in there good luck xx
  • Options
    I would agree with you that bigger babies are easier to push out as my 1st girl was born 8lb 9oz with no problems and my 2nd girl was born when i was 33+6 weeks she weighed 4lb 11oz and i had a horrendously painful labour, episiotomy and forceps to get her out. i also had the steroids at 31 weeks when i started to bleed, they mature the babys lungs and give them a great start in the event of pre-term labour. You should rest and try and keep baba in until you are 37 weeks then you won't need to be strapped to the CTG monitor during labour.
    Hope all goes well for you xx
  • Options
    I'm gonna be strapped to the monitor either way coz i have to have IV antibiotics coz of my heart murmur. (Even though it has'nt bothered me for 4 years). I'm 36 weeks today (yay!) and have been pampering myself the last 2 days as i know i'll have no me time when the baby is born. I have to say that since i've come home from hospital my hubby's been really attentive. He has'nt expected me to have done any housework while he's been at work, or anything for that matter. I can't stay still for long though, i hate having an untidy house, so i'm still gonna clean it like mad anyway. (It'll just get done more slowly).