Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Giving in to Castor Oil

Have also posted on pregnancy forum!!

After takin castor oil with my 1st LO I vowed never to touch the stuff again..........................

However.....................I'm now 40+3 and this LO is showing no signs of wanting to make an appearence. After an induction with my 1st LO I desperatly wanna avoid another one with this one, which will be either Fri 24th or Mon 27th if labour hasn't started. So I'm giving in and gonna take some castor oil.

Whats the best way to take it? I just took 4 tablespoons with my 1st LO and it was disgusting!! Didn't induce labour just caused several trips to toilet

Have heard that mixing it with banana, orange juice, sugar etc makes it go down a lot nicer and wondered if you ladies had any suggestions?

Thankies!!

Garfield

40+3

XX

Replies

• omg the thought of it makes me cringe!!!!yuk! but i did take it wiv my 1st, 3rd(didnt work wiv him! the stuborn lil monkey)and 4th.i took it wiv fresh orange .let us no if it works 4 u huni.
    luv clare.x.
  • Hi honey,

It does me too to be honest but I'm running out of options!! LOL!!

Did it work on your other pregnancies? Did it work? And how long does it take to work?

God I am so nervous!!

XX
  • yeah it defo did! esp wiv my 4th i took it and about 30mins l8r i woz in labour !!!! thought i mite hav him in the car it all went that quick!!!lol! went in 2 labour the followin day wiv my 1st.just hold ur nose whrn u take it!!lol! good luck
    luv clare.x.
  • Hi hun

I know exactly how u feel i am resorting to this myself, even tho im not due until next sunday! let me know how u get on if u decide to take it, because im so tempted to go out now n buy some!! good luck!!

steph 38+5 xxx
  • I mixed a WHOLE bottle with orange juice and knocked it back in one. Result??
    No labour but lots of sitting on the loo with nasty tummy cramps!!
    It really doesn't work babe XXX
  • Hiya

I gave in to castor oil too, when i was a week overdue,I took a couple of table spoons with a glass of orange juice at lunchtime and went into labour at tea time so it worked for me!
    Although i told my midwife when she came to see me at home the day after the birth and she told me off and said that castor oil can dislodge the placenta (or something like that! I can't quite remember) and that can obviously do damage to the baby. So just be careful I guess and don't take too much

Good luck! x
  • Where can you get castor oil from then??
  • A Pharmacy, the internet....

I got mine from a local chemist....although they WILL NOT sell it to a pregnant woman so you would need to get a friend or partner to get it for you!!

I'm not taking mine though!! If the hospital find out you have taken it (which they apparently can) they have the right to refuse treatment and send you to another hospital. Dont know how much truth is in that, but I'm not prepared to take the risk!

• Hi Garfield,

Yeh your totally right its not worth the risk!! Oh well they will be here when they r ready, lol!!

Good luck, & keep us posted

xxxxxx
  • Hi Ladies!

I know this isn't going to be well received, but there's a reason chemists refuse to sell it to pregnant ladies. It can be an effective way of starting labour, but mainly because of the amount of stress it can put your body and your baby under. You can become really dehydrated because of the resulting stomach upset, and it can cause all sorts of problems with baby, making labour alot more difficult. I know how hard it is in those last few days, but baby will come when it's ready, or with monitored medical assistance at least! Imagine how awful you'd feel if something did happen to baby as a result of the stress the castor oil put your body under?
    I'm not having a go, I just honestly don't think it's worth the risk-especially if you've not reached your due date yet!
    Best of luck with labour xxx
    Edited to say-Garfield, sorry just saw your most recent post, glad you changed your mind! Hope labour starts soon for you xxx

[Modified by: Rhys'Mum on October 20, 2008 11:04 AM]

• Appreciate advice. Am now 40+6 so have well and truly reached my due date!! Theres a reason I want to avoid induction though - I honestly have a genuine fear of hospitals after what happened with my 1st LO!
  • What IS castor oil? I mean, what's it made from? And what is it actually used for?

33+6