Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Raspberry Leaf Tablets

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone is using Raspberry Leaf tablets and if so when you started taking them? I will be 38 weeks tomorrow and my midwife advised me to wait until 39 wks - I thought that they made your contractions stronger and more effective when in labour rather than bringing labour on so I don't want to leave it until too late however if they do bring labour on i'll wait until Christmas has passed. What do you all think?

Replies

• According to most things I've read about raspberry leaf tablets the only thing that there is any evidence that they do is shorten your 2nd stage of labour. I've taken raspberry leaf tablets from 32 weeks in both my pregnancies & had a 15 minute 2nd stage with my 1st baby & a 10 minute one with my 2nd baby.

Most mws recommend that you dont take them before 36 weeks though that advice would be different if you were at risk of premature labour. All advice seems to vary regarding raspberry leaf though depending on who youre talking to.

Did your mw say why she recommended waiting to 39 weeks before taking them?

Hilary x
  • Thanks Hilary, she didn't say why I should wait, have had a really straight forward pregnancy (touch wood!) and am planning a water birth so I wondered if she thought it might bring on labour - would like to avoid a Christmas Eve/Day birth so I don't want to tempt fate but I don't want to miss the boat either if its going to help with labour, baby's head is 3/5's engaged and my braxton hicks have been getting a lot worse in the last couple of days - am a bit confused!

[Modified by: Lottie78 on December 18, 2007 12:49 PM]
  • Its not easy knowing what to do sure its not. I've heard so many different views on when to take them & how much to take. Holland & Barratt do 2 different strengths of tablets. One they recommend from 36 weeks & the other from 38 weeks.

I still went 4 days over with my 1st & 6 days over with my 2nd despite taking them early but everyone is different. I think its like everything unfortunately & they just come when they are ready (& least expecting them!!!!)

Good luck

Hilary x
  • I started taking mine at 36 weeks..I'll be 39 weeks on friday. i'd read that 36 weeks was when to start them, but at antenatal class they said 37 weeks...that was a bit late cause I'd already started taking them!!
  • I started taking them at 36 weeks, im 39 weeks tomorrow.

• Hi, I started taking them at 37 weeks and have had the tea and the tablets. Think some of the tablets recommend starting later as they are a higher strength but at 38 weeks you should be fine to take them.
    My midwife said basically any time from 37 weeks as it wouldn't be a problem if baby arrived then.