Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bum problem... help! tmi lol

hi ladies, i apologise now for the following but i need helpfrom someone who wont poke and prod at me! i am on iron so a bit constipated and stools are black. when i go to the loo it feels like i have been cut just inside and it really hurts to poo. its so uncomfortable to sit down. i have been taking fibre sure cos lactulose ran out. im gonna stop taking the iron cos i cant cope with the pain. id rather be regular. if i feel rough ill start taking it again but at the min this is so unbearable!!

help... any advice, suggestions, rememdies..please?!

holly xxxx
:roll:

Replies

• Are you drinking loads hun? I took spa tone instead of the iron I was prescribed (you get it in boots, health food shops ect) I found it really helped as it was gentle to my stomach so if you need iron I would deffo reccomend it!! In fact some midwifes give it on prescription. I hope you feel better soon hun
    Amy xxx
  • I was on lactolose bit fibrogel was better for me. I've stopped taking my iron tablets now (baby 16 days old). The midwife said that my iron levels would rise quickly now that I wasn't pregnant any more and doctor confirmed I could cut down. I think it depends how low your blood count was on discharge. Mine was only slightly low hence the cutting down advice.
  • thanks ladies.gonna ask for spa tone as u mentioned amy. only on iron due to haemorrage and transfusions,wasfine through pregnancy. they gave me a months supply last week but i really dont wanna take anymore yet. thanks all!xxxx
  • It might be worth asking for another blood test to see if you still need the iron tablets.
  • Hiya

I had to be cut when I had Joseph nearly 5 weeks ago and like you was in agony, it even hurt to walk! I was in that much pain that I got the midwife to check my stitches - turns out I has a huge pile that was causing all my problems! Midwife prescribed a steriod cream to reduce the swelling and by the time Joseph was 2 weeks everything was fine! Just a thought incase you havent checked down there! I was too scared to look!

I stopped taking my iron tablets too and the HV told me to make sure I ate lots of cereal as that has iron in it.
  • thanks hellsbelles. ill try that. have had a gander and no pile although can uget them internally? feel like i have glass inmy bum and like ive been donkey kicked! xx
  • Oh dear poor you. The black poo is kinda gross isn't it!!

I can sympathise - the iron tablets I'm on are making me a bit constipated too and it does hurt sometimes. I'm getting my bp checked at the docs on friday so I'm gonna talk to them about what to do but I think I'll ask them for a blood test or about reducing the dose. The doc did say they'd do a blood test at my 6 week check to test my iron levels but I don't fancy being on the tablets that long.. although she did mention taking them for up to 6 months.. I don't think so!

What was your iron level on discharge from hospital? Mine was 10.1, it had been around 12 before I had Cole and it was 7.8 the day after I'd had him (and it still took them another 2 days to give me a transfusion!!!) I've no idea how quickly iron gets built back up in your body..maybe the doc can tell me
  • hi kia, my mw said up to 6 months too but i stopeed taking them the other day and im fine. if i feel rough ill start taking them again. i refused the blood test as they really messed up my arms with drips and blood tests and the transfusions in hospital, they collapsed the main vein they get so i wont let em do it. hurts too bloody much.

my iron was 7.1 before i left, they said the transfusion should have bumped it to 10 which it had to be for me to go but as i said they made such a mess of my arms i wouldnt let them check. ive been told to drink orange juice when i eat to absorb all the iron. sounds like we had similar experiences. ive got to say i am feeling fine, im drinking loads to fluch myself out now and still have my tablets just in case. will speak to hv on friday but i dont want anyone interfering with me anymore i just want to enjoy ryan.
    how are you and cole doing?? xxxx
  • When I got discharged from the hospital the midwife told me that mine was 9.8 and it should be 10 to be normal. I only took mine for a day or so then stopped - mostly because I kept forgetting but also because I was frightend that they would make me constipated given my other complaint!!

Hx
  • Hi Holly,

i was the same after i gave birth to joshua. i lost so much blood and had 2 transfusions then prescribed iron tablets which luckily for me only made me constipated once. but during my pregnancy and still now i take spatone its really good, take it with oj when you have your evening meal. even though i was only constipated once (i had a 3rd degree tear) i was in tears it hurt so much i would never want to feel like that again x
  • hey holly. sounds like we both had similar problems.. they had real porblems with my veins and the mw's wouldn't take blood,,they sent for the doc cause they struggled. it took 4 tries to get the needle in for the blood transfusion!! i looked like a druggie I had that many holes in me!

i was told about taking the tablets with oj. I try but cause i have blood pressure tablets that have to be spaced out sometimes i don't have the oj.. if i take the tablets at seperate times i'll get mixed up!!

i'm not too bad with the constipation cause i'm lactose intolerant and usually too much milk has the opposite effect on me but wuth the iron tablets i've been getting away with more milkshakes.. sorry for the tmi there!!!

i don't plan on taking the tablets for 6 months..i'll stick it as long as i can though but i'll push for a blood test at my 6 week check.. ven though i'd rather not have any more messing,,, one needle is better than 6 months of black poo!!
  • kia- ur lucky not to have the constipation! its horrid! especially with the cut.
    thats my next concern if anyone can help.........
    my cut has healed but internally it doesnt feel like it has. there is a neat healed line but where it starts its red and sore and open (i decided to look again earlier!) and i think if id looked it would have been open wound inside too. when will i heal??????????????????????
  • Can't help about the cut i'm afraid cause my tear/stitches appear to be the only thing i've not had problems with. I'm too chicken to look though!!!

Midwife told me that the stitches should be dissolving by now as everything should be healing. I know you don't want any more messing with but it might be worth ringing your docs, or can you ring the hospital? I don't know if all areas are the same but for the first month I can call the ward 24 hours and speak to someone