Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

no epidural policy!!

hi all, was wondering if anyone else lives in a 'no epidural policy' area? not that i did deffinately want one.. but... it is somewhat reassuring to know that it is available in desperation.......... i recently moved, and to my dismay, the new hospital where i'll be having little one in a few weeks has this policy!! AAHHHHH.... HHEELLPP!! :-/

Replies

• Oh no! That would be terrible for me as thats my pain relief i have chosen to have. I didn't know some hospitals had this policy, it's terrible x
  • at the hospital that i am booked into they do offer epidurals but you can only have one if the anaethitist is not busy or you wait til he is not busy. as they only have 1 on call at any one time. it's not good enough really especially if you are in alot of pain.xxx
  • I wasn't aware this was a policy in regular hospitals, I know in Midwifery-led units they're not an option but otherwise... scary really, what if you want one??? Mind you, don't disregard gas/air or anything else, you may get on well with them and give birth sooner. Epi's can slow things down in my experience. But good luck in whatever you decide!
  • Never heard of the no epidural policy, thought all hospitals offered to women if they need it. I've never had time to have an epidural as both my labours were very painful but quite quick so had no time!!! There's quite a few other pain relief alternatives so I'm sure you can make good use of those! Good luck
  • I had heard that they were thinking about charging women for epidurals (about ??500) but I had no idea that hospitals had stopped offering them. I think its awful. My hospital is very keen on epidurals and often reccommends them. cld you go to another hospital, because although we all hope not to have one its reasurring to know. Have a look at the dr foster website, it tells you loads about hospitals xx
  • What a bloody stupid idea - no epidural policy!! Are they bloody mad or trying to turn us all into jibbering wrecks????? I would have definately ended up with an unnecessary c-section with my first if I hadn't had an epidural. she was lying back2back for most of my labour and believe me, it was painful!!!! I would never have got thru labour without the epi as she was also pressing on a nerve with each contraction rendering me completely unable to concerntrate on what my body was supposed to be doing! And as for charging for one, well, do they think we're made of money?? With 3 kids already, I'm certainly not!!!!! If they go down this route they will dig themselves into a huge pit of lawsuits from thousands of emotionally and possibly physically scarred woman due to bad labour and birth experiences that could be avoided in a majority of cases with proper pain relfief. No one should be denied the freedom to choose! Sorry, I'll get of me soapbox now lol
  • thanks for all your replies.. im sure i will cope with the labour, after all it is supposed to be the most natural experience for any woman to go through.. lol yeah right.... so morphine here we come!!, if all else fails they'll just have to bloody knock me out!! lol xx
  • i want gas & air. my best friend had a baby last yr & had NO pain relief whats so ever. now thats what i call i trooper!!! i am terrified of the labour but mayb im a wimp or somethin. i hav a high pain thresh hold but i am stil very scared. i am more scared of epidurals cos they can b very risky if they put the needle in the wrong place. so im gona opt 4 on epidural***
  • My hospital offer epidurals only when there not busy and guess what they where busy with C sections that day. I found a TENS machine really helped. If you had asked me when I was pregnant I'd have said no way I need something stronger but it really did help. Just make sure you have plenty of batteries I do remember yelling at my oh half way through to find more batteries now!!

Good luck